Any scotch/whisky drinkers in here?

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Glad I found this thread...Heading over to Ireland in a few weeks with very minimal plans. Any distilleries suggestions? Something a less mainstream than Jamison which is probably like the Hersey factory tour. starting in Dublin and I have a car.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Glad I found this thread...Heading over to Ireland in a few weeks with very minimal plans. Any distilleries suggestions? Something a less mainstream than Jamison which is probably like the Hersey factory tour. starting in Dublin and I have a car.
I don't have distillery recommendations, but we did notice and capitalize on something on my last trip there:
Irish whiskies were premium priced, especially at touristy places,
while singlemalt scotch was at bargain basement prices.
So after a few requisite Irish drams, we enjoyed scotch on the cheap for the rest of the trip.

JDurk

Visited Dublin last year for a few days on a UK trip, stayed in the Temple Bar area. Didn't have enough time to get to Jameson, but could smell it when passing by. The Guinness Storehouse tour is pretty entertaining and informative, but probably similar to the Hershey factory tour. And you get a free pint at the end. Visit The Brazen Head pub, supposed to be Ireland's oldest. Temple Bar is a street of bars, restaurants and entertainment, similar to Bourbon St.
IMG_20181023_143047204.jpg IMG_20181023_183446648.jpg

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Heading to Scotland tomorrow,
(Whoops, now today)
Figured I should prep for the trip.
4FC40011-C4C7-4F0F-BD80-47CB6880EAD1.jpeg
I should probably pack too.

Plans for next Sunday include visits to Ardbeg, Laphroaig and if all plays out Lagavulin. Yay.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I may be able t help you out with this one. Very long shot, but DM me if interested.

Make sure you hit this

qclabrat

Try Powers outside of Cork, never been but was recommended by an Irish colleague

Shaggz

A strong 7
I don't have distillery recommendations, but we did notice and capitalize on something on my last trip there:
Irish whiskies were premium priced, especially at touristy places,
while singlemalt scotch was at bargain basement prices.
So after a few requisite Irish drams, we enjoyed scotch on the cheap for the rest of the trip.
Not sure if you have seen Scotch: A Golden Dream. Fantastic documentary on Scotch (obviously) mostly based on the Islay distilleries. One of the things they discuss is how tourists are shocked that Scotch is more expensive on Islay than it is in the US or other home markets, because of the tax burden the Scottish government puts on the purchase of whisky. Definitely a great watch, even if you are not a Scotch fan.

JDurk

Picked this up a few weeks ago during a 1st time stopping in this distillery. Local farms supply most of the ingredients. Very cool building and barn atmosphere. This was a little pricey, can definitely purchase something better and cheaper. But supporting local business.
20191122_181620.jpg
20191122_181737.jpg

Top Bottom