Any recommendations on a good set of winter MTB gloves??

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Also, I should mention that these comments are based on my riding up to 3 hous in these temps. Through 2 hours I'm ok. Beyond that things start to go south.

I think you should try some of the Gore road gloves, but I can't speak for anything much over 1.5 or 2 hours... I seems to always have problems with my thumbs being cold.

Assos has a glove system that is mucho bucks that consist of a liner, glove and shell for 175! (wtf!) You can buy the 3 peices sperately too. Maybe mate your current gloves with the lobstershell? Again, 65.00 for a shell is steep but is it worth it for warm hands?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...-assos-lobstershell-851-gloves-3591.12.1.html

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
norm, this may sound insane but if you're good for two hours on the road in the 30's, why invest in finding the nirvana of gloves when $2 handwarmers would fix the issue completely? it's not like the answers where you'll be stuck with them in your shoes moving around. just a thought..

BiknBen

...why invest in finding the nirvana of gloves when $2 handwarmers would fix the issue completely?

I gotta agree with Jake. The investment in trial-n-error to find the nirvana of gloves can be expensive.

I often deal with cold hands (bad circulation?). The type of glove that would keep my hand warm makes it impossible to shift or do anything else with my hands. I've found the warmest gloves that still allow some hand function. If I need more warmth, the hand-warmers go in the gloves.

I probably did this 4-5 times last year.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think you should try some of the Gore road gloves, but I can't speak for anything much over 1.5 or 2 hours... I seems to always have problems with my thumbs being cold.

Assos has a glove system that is mucho bucks that consist of a liner, glove and shell for 175! (wtf!) You can buy the 3 peices sperately too. Maybe mate your current gloves with the lobstershell? Again, 65.00 for a shell is steep but is it worth it for warm hands?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...-assos-lobstershell-851-gloves-3591.12.1.html

I have a pair of mid-level Gore gloves that I was pretty underwhelmed with. The sizing is pretty bad on them though. I can;t imagine what someone with actual XL hands would need, XXXXXXXL?

The problem with the $175 gloves is that I'm not absolutely sure they'll work. If I was sure, I'd say screw it and buy them. Between my best current pair, the 2 pair I took fliers on this year, plus the liners I've spent $185 combined. Granted I now have a myriad of gloves for just about any conditions above 30-35.

norm, this may sound insane but if you're good for two hours on the road in the 30's, why invest in finding the nirvana of gloves when $2 handwarmers would fix the issue completely? it's not like the answers where you'll be stuck with them in your shoes moving around. just a thought..

I wonder if I can use my surplus of foot warmers.

The issue is the single fingers though, not the back of the hand where the warmer would (presumably) sit.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wear a form fitting glove liner under the gloves you currently use.

Got 'em, check. No suck luck after X time in the saddle.

I often deal with cold hands (bad circulation?). The type of glove that would keep my hand warm makes it impossible to shift or do anything else with my hands. I've found the warmest gloves that still allow some hand function. If I need more warmth, the hand-warmers go in the gloves.

I probably did this 4-5 times last year.

I've considered a few different options:

1. Since it's really my left hand that goes first, I considered getting some solid mittens and only using it on the left, since shifting the FD is less frequent and I can get by even if my left hand is a brick. On super cold days I could bring both if need be and deal with it.

2. Keep an alternate pair of gloves inside my jacket, and swap out when it gets too cold. Yesterday I was absolutely fine at 1:30. By 2:00 it was going downhill fast. That may also have something to do with that 45 mph descent. Cold. Fast

3. Hand warmers. Meh, this isn't my ideal solution.

BiknBen

I wonder if I can use my surplus of foot warmers.

The issue is the single fingers though, not the back of the hand where the warmer would (presumably) sit.

FYI, this is a road bike scenario:
I put the hand-warmer in my palm. At times when I don't really need my hands. I pull the fingers back to make a fist around the warmer. I will often do this with one hand at a time as often as the riding will allow and my hands need it.

The foot-warmers will work fine in your gloves. I did this once. I left the cover over the adhesive side and faced the adhesive away from my hand. I recall the adhesive cover eventually starting to curl and come off. By then the temps were warming up and I didn't need them any more.

I tried the hand-warmers on the MTB once last year. They were too bulky to keep in the palm. Conditions on a MTB do not allow me to make a fist in my glove. They were ineffective on the top of my hand.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ben, I think I may have ample opportunity to try this out tomorrow.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
there is one other option to keep the hands warm. even i have to admit, this is old skool: rubber gloves. obviously they aren't going to breathe but IIRC, using them under my gloves kept my hands pretty warm. i may have to experiment with this option again just to see. no, not idea, but another potential $2 solution to your $178 problem.

MTB Aussie

I use PI lobsters and dont notice a problem with log over with only two fingers but perhaps I've never thought about it and I dont cover the brake over logs. Also, I have never had cold hands with these lobsters. My feet give up way before my hands.

Mr_T

I went over to Halters yesterday and dropped some coin on winter gear ( I had none); picked up a pair of Gore Radiators. I went for a spin on the road about 4pm, it was 28F by me with 10-15mph winds....even when going into head winds, hands and fingers were toasty warm...my face...not so much.

http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/Satellite/PROD_GRADIA?landingid=1208436857364A

For me these gloves are perfect; thin, excellent feel, terrific grip and design....plenty warm.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Just Bought a pair of Louis Garneau 2-in-1 vitals from Campmor. Have not had a chance to try them out. Here's a review. Look forward to checking them out.

They have lobster covers that can be tucked back to allow individual fingers. The pouch that you tuck the lobsters into can also hold hand warmers.

Top Bottom