Any local NJ Riders ever make it out to Gooseberry?

Molasses

I am heading out there this October and I have been trying to get as much riding in as possible (with a new baby at home!) and was wondering if anyone had any "training tips" that would help get the best out my vacation.

While in Utah I will be hitting the following trails-
Thunder Mountain
JEM
Bearclaw Poppy
Gooseberry

NJ Jess

it's awesome

If you ride NJ, you can handle all that in Utah. I'd just make sure you can climb and do tight switchback. Wonderful biking state!

xc62701

Gooseberry Mesa is probably my #1 favorite trail I've ridden. Lots of really cool unique riding. Some nice slickrock features, technical sections, challenging terrain and great views. It's a must do if you're in the area. Another one around St. George is Stucki Springs and the Green Valley Loop. They are nice if you do them together. The trail head is going to disappear soon as development is cutting in but once you climb to the top of the ridge you will descend down some old motorcross hills that are really fun. You can take drops, rollers and lots of fun options. Once you get to the bottom of Clavicle hill, named for obvious reasons, then you will hit a creek bed that is fast flowy with tons of options to ride. Jumps, rollers and all kinds of good stuff awaits. Check em out.

D

DANSPANK

Molasses, are you on the Rim Tours trip? I was looking in to that with a buddy of mine. I read about Gooseberry Messa in MBA and just thought that it's a place that needs to be ridden - that and Whistler!

Molasses

Actually going out with Western Spirit because they include some GREAT trails in the St. George area like Bearclaw Poppy (which I thought was part of the Stucki Springs, Green Valley loop which was mentioned above) Thunder Mountain is not part of the official trip but I hit it a few years ago and will try to fit it in on my own. I have ridden with Rim Tours and they put on a good tour- but I was signed up with them to do Goose 2 years ago and they pulled the trip due to low attendance. FWIW Western Spirit tour on Oct 8-13 is staffed and going.

Molasses

Dumd question for you...

I am struggling with the choice of bike to bring. I ride a ti hardtail (currently as a SS but can be converted to gears) that I ride 99% of the time that is the best climbing bike I have ever ridden. I also have a dually (Intense Tracer) that is a great bike but for some reason I always seem to defer to the SS. I ride mostly Mahlon, LM, Chimney Rock, Hartshorne, Ringwood. What bike would you all bring?

Hardtail Pro's:
GREAT Climber
Precise Point and Shoot handling
Fewer chances of mechanical issues
The bike I ride 99% on my home turf
Hardtail Con's:
Not as comfy (although I do own a Thudbuster I rarely use it)
Lower BB Height

Dually Pro's:
Climbing may be better in areas where the rear tire needs to track the terrain
More comfy
I have both an RP3 and coil rear shock (in case one blows up)
high BB height
Dually Con's:
Slight chance for more mechanicals
Standing sprint climbs will suffer a bit

Now one point that I don't think will be a factor- jumping because my bravery does not increase whether or not I ride the dually or the HT

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

P

Phatbiker

I am struggling with the choice of bike to bring. I ride a ti hardtail (currently as a SS but can be converted to gears) that I ride 99% of the time that is the best climbing bike I have ever ridden. I also have a dually (Intense Tracer) that is a great bike but for some reason I always seem to defer to the SS. I ride mostly Mahlon, LM, Chimney Rock, Hartshorne, Ringwood. What bike would you all bring?

Hardtail Pro's:
GREAT Climber
Precise Point and Shoot handling
Fewer chances of mechanical issues
The bike I ride 99% on my home turf
Hardtail Con's:
Not as comfy (although I do own a Thudbuster I rarely use it)
Lower BB Height

Dually Pro's:
Climbing may be better in areas where the rear tire needs to track the terrain
More comfy
I have both an RP3 and coil rear shock (in case one blows up)
high BB height
Dually Con's:
Slight chance for more mechanicals
Standing sprint climbs will suffer a bit

Now one point that I don't think will be a factor- jumping because my bravery does not increase whether or not I ride the dually or the HT

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

i know that many will have a different opinion but i would bring the intense. i own a ti 29er 4" full squish, a steel 29er ss and a 6" travel 26" wheel full squish bike for all mountain type riding.. when i go out to moab, fruita or grand junction i bring the 6" bike.. i just have more fun on it. maybe it's just my riding style.. hope this helps.

if i were going to breckenridge or vail then i would bring the 29er full squish.

phat

T

triameleon

I will be in the area...

I would say just be as fit as possible you will be at higher elevations. Probably be riding in Moab with friends during those dates though. Drop me a line or post here if you want company on thunder mtn I may be back to bryce by then. I will be hitting that trail as much as possible or if you have time there is the Cassidy trail in the area too.
Find a super steep rock face(good one at the tourne) and climb it repeatedly, that's kind of what you will face on gooseberry, tech skills are essential, traction will be excellent on the slickrock and it's not as punishing as moab. other trails in the gooseberry area are Little Creek mesa(hard to find) and the Guacamole trail.

JEM is a desert cruiser just point the front wheel down hill and try not to fall in to the virgin river gorge;-) Bear claw is also of the cruiser type I believe. Church rocks is another slickrock option near StGeorge.

I think you will have a good time on either bike although I don't think ss will be good on some of those trails. I have ridden hard tail and FS on all those trails. I would probably go with the bike I am most comfortable riding. guess you can't take both.;-)

D

DANSPANK

Also, you'd be riding day-after-day for a few days so I think comfy needs to come into it.

Molasses

Great points all for the choice of bike to bring. I originally had the silly idea to ride the Ht as a SS but I want to have fun and not suffer so if the Titus ends up going with me it will be geared up for sure (the drops can be swapped). At this point my gut is telling me the "safer" choice is the Tracer and I'll be making more of a conscience effort to ride it more so it feels natural to me. If that doesn't work, I will make sure the Thudbuster is packed for sure!

Top Bottom