332.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 40

wingers

Also known as the Turkey Buzzard. FYI- There is a Mtb area in NE Ohio called vultures knob.
Buzzards love rode kill

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They are a common feature at Sourlands. It is weird.

They are literally everywhere in the state. Jim and I came across some roadkill Sunday and there were probably a dozen having a party. They often sun themselves on silos or other tall structures. It's hard to go an hour without seeing one in the sky in this state.

bozizle

I never saw many of these vultures until I moved upstate...now if you go out early morning for a ride they all seem to be in packs finding dead animals and taking them apart....they can clean a small animal pretty quickly

one piece crank

Black or Turkey?

That actually looks like a black vulture. The head does not look red enough to be a turkey vulture.

I think the black vulture has a total absence of red color, so any red in the face would indicate a turkey vulture (same for the brown wing feathers).

They are darn near everywhere around here. When my kids were younger, they would lay motionless in the back yard, splayed-out in train-wreck postion, hoping to attract one and catch it!

Tom P.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Yeah but there is an exceptionally large amount of them at Sourlands. You're right i see them in the sky everywhere but i don't tend to see them a lot on the trails at other parks. But for some reason they hang out all over the rocks of Sourlands and leave huge poops everywhere.

wingers

Hey Dirtybert I think these buzzards were circling when you hit the ground at Chimney Rock -- Happy anniversary eh. good to have you on the trails again!

Top Bottom