any fix for rear tire rubbing?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i got a set of schwalbe fat albert tires, all excited and such. i try to put them on this afternoon, but the rear tire actually rubs the frame of the bike :(

my current tires are the same dimensions, i didnt think i would have an issue w them fitting!

is there anything else i can do to make them fit? :(

thanks mtbnj!

Last edited:

pinkshirtphotos

do they rub both sides of the frame? could dish your wheel to make them fit. I always wind up having some tyre rub on my frames but im always riding like an idiot with bigger tyres then i should.

BiknBen

The posted size on the tire is not always accurate. Tires of different manufacturers will never measure the same. The width of the rim can also impact the final width of the tire. A wider rim will make the tire wider when inflated.

Get a smaller tire or a frame with more clearance. Redishing the wheel is an option but I would not suggest it. Just ensure that the wheel is dished correctly.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
What is wheel dishing?
If a wheel is out of dish, the rim is not centered properly on the hub or in the chainstays of the bike. If your tire is rubbing only on one side, you can check the dish by simply putting the wheel on backwards. If the tire now pulls to the other side, you know the dish is out. If the dish is out, I would reccomend taking it to your local shop to fix it.

Not So Fast

OK then

If a wheel is out of dish, the rim is not centered properly on the hub or in the chainstays of the bike. If your tire is rubbing only on one side, you can check the dish by simply putting the wheel on backwards. If the tire now pulls to the other side, you know the dish is out. If the dish is out, I would reccomend taking it to your local shop to fix it.

Thanks, I think I got it.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i flipped the wheel around and it looks MUCH more centered. ill see if the guys at halters have any ideas... ill try and drop it off tomorrow after work.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ah, dude, that sucks. can't imagine that those tires wouldn't fit that bike. they are big but not that big.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
ah, dude, that sucks. can't imagine that those tires wouldn't fit that bike. they are big but not that big.

it can be done, it hasnt been adjusted since it was converted to a single speed, so i have some wiggle room. I noticed after you guys gave the advice to flip the wheel, it looks perfectly centered.

so i know its possible :)

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
well i stopped by halters and jay worked his magic and got the wheel centered. happened to be that i was putting my chain on first, and then my wheel. the only difference i noticed is that the chain is SUPER tight now, and i think its because my chainline isnt in a straight line anymore. not sure if re if its just not used to being in the right position, or i need to have it checked out.

thanks again though jay :)

Engignar

I've got the same problem on my MKIII. The chainstays are pretty tight and a 2.3 Nevegal clears...until I really start cranking on the pedals and the wheel flexes. I now have a really nicely polished area on the inside of the stay.

Top Bottom