Any chance of finding a new fatty?

qclabrat

With all these raw frame popping out on mtbnj.com I feel like I'm a pioneer of the genre!
Raw since 2018
PXL_20210423_115104316.jpg

Mr.Moto

Had to work through a few issues to get to this point. Swapped over to the Next crank arms cause color just wasn’t looking right. Turns out frame and fork are set up for 160, not 180 rotors. Had an adapter that might work for the rear. May just swap out front to a 160 rotor for now until I get the right adapter. Brakes seem very snug. Need to trim brake hose and possibly bleed. Had rear sliding drop outs slammed but tire rubbed on seat tube. They forgot to include the adjusting screws for the sliders. Luckily I have an assortment of SS M5 screws and found one that works. Need to put on the chain and index shifter.

serviceguy

Had to work through a few issues to get to this point. Swapped over to the Next crank arms cause color just wasn’t looking right. Turns out frame and fork are set up for 160, not 180 rotors. Had an adapter that might work for the rear. May just swap out front to a 160 rotor for now until I get the right adapter. Brakes seem very snug. Need to trim brake hose and possibly bleed. Had rear sliding drop outs slammed but tire rubbed on seat tube. They forgot to include the adjusting screws for the sliders. Luckily I have an assortment of SS M5 screws and found one that works. Need to put on the chain and index shifter.
What adapter do you need? 160 to 180 ? I may have something to get you going.

one piece crank

I’m very interested to get ride reports on these new RSD’s. The Mayor sits at No.2, right below a post-COVID-recovery Pole Taiga.

Mr.Moto

Shakedown ride yesterday for the Mayor and everything was solid. Rigid hardtail, so not much to go wrong. 197 rear is wide. I have a slight duck footed stance so heel hits the seatstay on occasion. Will need to work on that. Bike felt comfortable right from the start. Thought I would notice the slacker fork angle, but it didn't even register for me. It fits larger rims and tires which made the most difference compared to my previous fat bike. Using 4.8" tires on 80mm rims. Plenty of room for a bigger set up although I did have to move the sliding dropouts outward to keep the Jumbo Jims from rubbing the seat tube.

Not quite as "nimble" as 4.6 tires on 65mm rims on my previous bike. Overall weight at 30 lbs. is a couple of pounds heavier than the previous bike.

First time using Box Components drivetrain and it works as intended. Not as snappy as higher end Sram. I would say on par with XT or maybe SLX. Heavier and less refined, but gets the job done just fine.

64D2DEA2-232F-403E-9A70-395EFA1A675D.jpeg

E5F3722E-25AB-46D9-A0D1-32EF55ADB229.jpeg

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Shakedown ride yesterday for the Mayor and everything was solid. Rigid hardtail, so not much to go wrong. 197 rear is wide. I have a slight duck footed stance so heel hits the seatstay on occasion. Will need to work on that. Bike felt comfortable right from the start. Thought I would notice the slacker fork angle, but it didn't even register for me. It fits larger rims and tires which made the most difference compared to my previous fat bike. Using 4.8" tires on 80mm rims. Plenty of room for a bigger set up although I did have to move the sliding dropouts outward to keep the Jumbo Jims from rubbing the seat tube.

Not quite as "nimble" as 4.6 tires on 65mm rims on my previous bike. Overall weight at 30 lbs. is a couple of pounds heavier than the previous bike.

First time using Box Components drivetrain and it works as intended. Not as snappy as higher end Sram. I would say on par with XT or maybe SLX. Heavier and less refined, but gets the job done just fine.

View attachment 156788
View attachment 156789
Looks good! I finally got my hubs so hopefully I can get the wheels built for this thing at some point...

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Hip, hip, hooray!!! After long last my new steed has finally been cristened! It was a long and arduous wait but the maiden voyage was overwhelmingly positive. I normally ride clipless but this is my first rigid bike (other than a road bike) in over 20 years so I wanted to get comfortable with bunny hop mechanics, etc. before clipping in. Surprisingly, it didn’t take too long to adjust and I think that will be a quick acclimation. I went with Maxxis Minions since I have no frame of reference for fat biking whatsoever and this is how RSD specs the bikes. I must say, fat Minions are a LOT of tire. Calling them beefy is an understatement. In any case, the bike is dope AF. I had tons of fun riding it and have no regrets.

2D7CF3D9-BE22-43EC-84CA-727BE0D8CD3F.jpeg

81A14E39-C236-4FF0-B903-C160521D98DD.jpeg

2E07BFBA-9363-4CE8-976F-A18715EBF98E.jpeg
6E3E650C-B3BB-4BA0-B59D-F4356FFF7BE5.jpeg
CC0109E7-0BD4-49A1-A38A-228C3CC2F1BD.jpeg

I wanted to go with purple hubs but after months of waiting, none were to be found. Thanks @jimvreeland for the killer wheel build!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Hip, hip, hooray!!! After long last my new steed has finally been cristened! It was a long and arduous wait but the maiden voyage was overwhelmingly positive. I normally ride clipless but this is my first rigid bike (other than a road bike) in over 20 years so I wanted to get comfortable with bunny hop mechanics, etc. before clipping in. Surprisingly, it didn’t take too long to adjust and I think that will be a quick acclimation. I went with Maxxis Minions since I have no frame of reference for fat biking whatsoever and this is how RSD specs the bikes. I must say, fat Minions are a LOT of tire. Calling them beefy is an understatement. In any case, the bike is dope AF. I had tons of fun riding it and have no regrets.

View attachment 157382
View attachment 157383
View attachment 157384View attachment 157385View attachment 157386

I wanted to go with purple hubs but after months of waiting, none were to be found. Thanks @jimvreeland for the killer wheel build!
Maiden voyages are measured in PR’s. Please report.

Top Bottom