Any chance of finding a new fatty?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
20210423_000222408_iOS.jpg

Started building it up after dinner last night. So far only one hiccup. I bought a set of boost Raceface Turbine cranks and a 190mm spindle to swap to make them work. The spindle didn't come with the 11.5mm spacers that I will need to make the cranks fit. Not sure why they wouldn't include the spacers with either the BB or the spindle but whatever.

Mr.Moto

View attachment 156207

Started building it up after dinner last night. So far only one hiccup. I bought a set of boost Raceface Turbine cranks and a 190mm spindle to swap to make them work. The spindle didn't come with the 11.5mm spacers that I will need to make the cranks fit. Not sure why they wouldn't include the spacers with either the BB or the spindle but whatever.
Strange, my spindle came with spacers.

But looking at the blue bits I have for the build, they are somewhat different especially the crank arms which are a blueish green. May just swap them out for black ones.
017AC64C-6DC7-40F5-B5DA-319039F2A570.jpeg

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Strange, my spindle came with spacers.

Hmm. I don't think I would have thrown something like those spacers away but they weren't in the original package where I put the boost spindle like 2 months ago when I swapped it. 🤔 I guess I'll be scouring my basement when I get home from work....

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Hmm. I don't think I would have thrown something like those spacers away but they weren't in the original package where I put the boost spindle like 2 months ago when I swapped it. 🤔 I guess I'll be scouring my basement when I get home from work....

The boost crank doesn't come with big enough spacers for the fat spindle anyway. And the 190 spindle is meant for a 120mm BB shell so that doesn't come with the right spacers either.

Mr.Moto

The boost crank doesn't come with big enough spacers for the fat spindle anyway. And the 190 spindle is meant for a 120mm BB shell so that doesn't come with the right spacers either.

They may have added the spacers for the 100mm shell. I have the larger fluted ones along with a couple of thinner ones. Just went out to do a quick dry fit and seems to be more than enough.
D8901C1F-D930-4409-A732-09EBCF562959.jpeg

serviceguy

View attachment 156207

Been there, done that. My cranks came with a 169mm spindle and had the thinner spacers, and while that will fit a 100mm BB, there's no way RF cranks will clear the chainstays using that spindle. RF used to make an intermediate spindle (180mm maybe) but they don't anymore so the only choice is the 189mm and you will need the taller spacers. Not sure of availability, but if you can't source it I do have a spare one.

THATmanMANNY

And local!
Yes sir!
Every Fatbike the past year has slipped away quickly and always 3-5 hours away. I YOLO’d this one for sure .

that’s not even my photo either haha I had to quickly hide this one!

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Been there, done that. My cranks came with a 169mm spindle and had the thinner spacers, and while that will fit a 100mm BB, there's no way RF cranks will clear the chainstays using that spindle. RF used to make an intermediate spindle (180mm maybe) but they don't anymore so the only choice is the 189mm and you will need the taller spacers. Not sure of availability, but if you can't source it I do have a spare one.
This. Can you take a picture showing the crank arm clearance with the chainstay?

Correct. The bike has a 100mm BB. Interestingly, the ONLY cranks that will clear the chainstays are Raceface cranks with the 189mm spindle. According to RSD, even SRAM cranks listed for 190/197mm rear end spacing won't clear. I was able to source the 11.5mm spacers but I appreciate your offer.

I'll take a picture of the clearance later when I am home.

Mr.Moto

And local!
Yes sir!
Every Fatbike the past year has slipped away quickly and always 3-5 hours away. I YOLO’d this one for sure .

that’s not even my photo either haha I had to quickly hide this one!

Great all purpose bike especially when conditions are not the best. Get a second set of 27.5 wheels for it too.

Top Bottom