Any chance of finding a new fatty?

pygmypony

I saw your other post and I appreciate the heads up. When I looked Framed had 22" bikes in stock, which according to their chart are too big for me. Anyway, I ended up ordering an RSD Mayor V5 frame/fork.

As for the wheels, @jimvreeland is gonna work his magic and lace up some Nextie rims to Hope hubs. I wanted to go with i9 hubs but they literally stopped making fat hubs like 2 days ago. :(

If there wasn't a pandemic and resultant bike shortage I probably would have bought a Trek Farley 9.6. With no previous fat bike experience it seemed to be almost what I wanted right out of the box and the couple of nitpicks I had could have been upgraded over time. Now with the custom wheel build the RSD is gonna come in a few hundred bucks more expensive than the Farley would have but the parts are all what I want. I don't have to mess around with take-offs, etc. If I would have stuck with off the shelf aluminum wheels I could have built the RSD for pretty much the same price as the Trek.

Through this whole thing what boggles my mind is how many complete fat bikes come with SX drivetrains. I mean they are marketing NX as the "high end" build. WTF? Academically, a major problem with fat bikes is keeping the weight reasonable. Why put the heaviest possible cassette on a bike that already has heavy wheels and tires? Is that just what's available in the quantities needed to manufacturers right now?
for what it's worth, my Mukluk weighs about 1.5 lbs less than my FS Pivot 429

and to be honest, given it's slightly shorter and more upright geo, it's a little more nimble in the tight stuff...

regardless...can't wait for you to get that bike, and hopefully we'll get some more snow this winter!

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
As for the wheels, @jimvreeland is gonna work his magic and lace up some Nextie rims to Hope hubs. I wanted to go with i9 hubs but they literally stopped making fat hubs like 2 days ago. :(
Cool. Jim built the same wheelset for me but in 27.5+ size (Nextie rims with Hope Pro4 hubs). Love them.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

aka sptimmy43
for what it's worth, my Mukluk weighs about 1.5 lbs less than my FS Pivot 429

and to be honest, given it's slightly shorter and more upright geo, it's a little more nimble in the tight stuff...

regardless...can't wait for you to get that bike, and hopefully we'll get some more snow this winter!

Frame won't be shipped until 3/1 at the earliest. :(

But, like you, I plan on riding this thing year round depending on the park/weather/how I feel.:cool:

Mr.Moto

I’m at the V5 bus stop as well waiting for arrival. Sold my previous fatty so looking forward to the RSD showing up. Collected all the parts, built the primary wheelset and just clock watching. Luckily I had some parts stashed away for a while. Cranks didn’t seem too difficult to source. I seem to remember a couple of places that had them, but not many options. I ended up getting a standard set for the color and sourcing a spindle for it.
1514331F-EF74-4104-8B11-B55350E90355.jpeg

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I’m at the V5 bus stop as well waiting for arrival. Sold my previous fatty so looking forward to the RSD showing up. Collected all the parts, built the primary wheelset and just clock watching. Luckily I had some parts stashed away for a while. Cranks didn’t seem too difficult to source. I seem to remember a couple of places that had them, but not many options. I ended up getting a standard set for the color and sourcing a spindle for it.
View attachment 151569
What color frame are you getting?

I guess sourcing cranks wasn’t really that hard but I had actually bought a set of SRAM GX Eagle 190/197 cranks before I just happened to read the FAQ on RSDbikes.com and saw that SRAM cranks won’t fit. Oh well. So I ended up doing pretty much the same thing, bought standard Raceface Turbines and a 190 spindle, although I stuck with black.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Just read the thing. 5.05 fits. Holy fuck you need to do that. 100mm rims, 5.05 tires. You'll never need a groomed trail again.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
The RSD runs a 190mm Spindle? Is the back end wide enough for an XXL tire?
Yes. The new version of the RSD has slightly shorter chainstays than the previous bike so 27.5x4.5 is a tight squeeze with the seatpost but 26x5.05 supposedly fits.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Just read the thing. 5.05 fits. Holy fuck you need to do that. 100mm rims, 5.05 tires. You'll never need a groomed trail again.
Maybe next year I’ll get another wheelset. By the time I get this thing I doubt we will have snow on the ground anymore...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Yes. The new version of the RSD has slightly shorter chainstays than the previous bike so 27.5x4.5 is a tight squeeze with the seatpost but 26x5.05 supposedly fits.

The picture of the bike on the site has XXLs on it. So much huge tire. But yeah, after Tuesday, it's never snowing again.

• Haha
Reactions: Tim

Mr.Moto

What color frame are you getting?

I guess sourcing cranks wasn’t really that hard but I had actually bought a set of SRAM GX Eagle 190/197 cranks before I just happened to read the FAQ on RSDbikes.com and saw that SRAM cranks won’t fit. Oh well. So I ended up doing pretty much the same thing, bought standard Raceface Turbines and a 190 spindle, although I stuck with black.
Went with the raw aluminum finish. What color did you order?

Mr.Moto

Would like 100's. Have some used 90's that will be built up for the winter, cause peasant. 80's for the other 3 seasons.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
So I am fully aware of how Covid has affected the bike industry. I had no intentions of getting a new bike but I recently rode with a few guys who were on fat bikes and I got the itch. If anyone has any leads on anything in stock anywhere I’d appreciate a heads up.
Acme bikes in South Dakota. Ask for tim

Fitzgerald’s bikes. Victor ID. Ask for Derrick

tell em I sent ya

Mr.Moto

Acme bikes in South Dakota. Ask for tim

Fitzgerald’s bikes. Victor ID. Ask for Derrick

tell em I sent ya

Bought my Salsa Bucksaw frame from Derrick when he had a shop in Long Island. His shop specialized in fat bikes. Super nice guy. Seemed like the only place that could source the frame when they first came out. He headed west literally right after I bought it.

FitmanNJ

Maybe next year I’ll get another wheelset. By the time I get this thing I doubt we will have snow on the ground anymore...
Just to share my experience, I got a Mayor V3 a couple of years ago so that I could run the 2XL/100mm combo. I bought the cream-colored 2XL, which the online fatbikers described as having more supple sidewalls than the black version (making them easier to push at low pressures, where the sidewalls are continuously being flexed). I found that they still felt very heavy. Unlike this year, the snow conditions at the time didn’t require 2XLs that much.

For comparison on the following day, I swapped out the 2XLs with Bud and Lou on the 100’s (Nexties) and rode the exact same trail at The Tourne. At my bodyweight of ~160 lbs, they floated nearly as well as the 2XLs, and they were significantly easier to push in the sections of trail that didn’t require maximal floatation. Furthermore, my Bud and Lou’s had Grip Studs, so I was as ready as possible for the icy conditions that we seem to eventually get due to our freeze-thaw cycles. I’m not sure if 2XLs can accept Grip Studs as the tread blocks may not be tall enough.

The kicker was that I found I could mount Bud/Lou/100s on my Fatback Skookum without rubbing (definitely tight, but they didn’t rub). So, I could match trail conditions pretty well by just swapping wheelsets on the Skookum. If we get this much snow in future winters, the 2XLs could be the better setup. But, for the “lighter” rider during winters with modest snowfall amounts, the setup I decided on could work (and would easily fit on a Mayor frame, of course). BTW, I’ve broken trail at Chimney Rock with up to about 7-8” of snow — kicked my ass, but I was able to do it with B/L.

Top Bottom