Any 411? Mag7 Trail, Moab

Thin Diesel

image.jpeg

Literally a killer trail?

J-Dro

This was a video we took a couple of years ago of the Portal Trail, which is at the very end of Mag 7. Amazing scenery above the Colorado River and much of the trail is built into a cliff. It's a ride I'll never forget. The video is kind of self indulgently long but too good to edit out. @elzoller on camera. Hit the HD button if you watch it.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Wow ! what a nice video....:rolleyes:

the three musts:
whole enchilada
Amasa back/captain ahab
mag7

I gots Jeff's picture too but I need his written authorization to post :D

Shorepoints

Rode Mag 7 in June. The first 4 legs are great fun, mostly downhill. Semi-technical but nothing crazy. Amazing views. After that (where the sign above is posted), things get tougher. Big climbs and very technical on legs 5-6 (Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim), and Portal (leg 7) is downhill with that "get off or die" sign and is also pretty technical but ridable in most spots. The ride is pretty much an all-day affair, so pack tons of water/provisions and take your time. At the end, we rode back to town (another 7 miles or so) while one of our buddies rode the opposite direction to pick up the car at the drop off. Whole thing took about 5-6 hours.

Did Whole Enchilada the next day, minus the Burro Pass section which was closed due to snow. Got shuttled to the start (Hazard County) by Moab Cyclery shuttles. Small but steep climb at the beginning followed by 3-4 hours of amazingness down to the river. Also rode home from that one, adding a few easy road/path miles.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When you do the Whole Enchilada, make sure you hit the newer Jimmy Keen singletrack instead of taking the Kokopelli dirt road.

Top Bottom