Anti-Seize Compound vs Grease?

doofus

I have to remount my shock and one of the bolts calls for Anti-Seize compound.
Can I just use grease or should I actually use Anti-Seize.
Any specific brand?
Thanks all.
Lenny

I have to remount my shock and one of the bolts calls for Anti-Seize compound.
Can I just use grease or should I actually use Anti-Seize.
Any specific brand?
Thanks all.
Lenny

Grease is for bearings and antisieze is for fasteners.

Anti-sieze will last longer than grease.

A little of Anti-sieze goes a long way, it is also very messy and attracts dirt.

If it is aluminum you can use paraffin wax on the threads. Just slide it quickly down the threads and spin it in.

I do not have fave brand, now I use Moly, because it was on sale.

Good luck.

A little bit of grease and you will be fine, it is just so the threads don't seise up, which if you keep it inside/garage, and pull it apart every year or two you will be fine.

anti-sieze is a great thing, it should always be on the tool bench. any steel bolt that threads in to AL should have a dab on it. I even use it on spoke nipples and works wonders to prevent the ol' stuck pedal.

I have always used lithium grease. When my bike sat for 10 years getting no attention, nothing was stuck when I started riding and checked all the bolts etc.

I have always used lithium grease. When my bike sat for 10 years getting no attention, nothing was stuck when I started riding and checked all the bolts etc.

IMO, Lithium grease is no good for anything.

It separates and leaves a white crusty mess that you have to chip away to clean up. sometimes the crustiness binds up what the grease is supposed to be lubricating. :rolleyes:

Anti seize is great, regular chassis grease and wheel bearing grease also work well.

Last edited:
Agree, a standard tube of grease works well, I use the good old Park Tool tub for the heavy stuff (applied with a tooth brush). For lighter applications the old Shimano Dura Ace grease works great. For a shock bolt, any style will be fine, although they get torqued well, you don't need to go crazy. For most of my DH bikes I just use a Park Tool multi-tool and a box wrench (making sure a lock nut or lock washer are in place).

If the rear shock comes loose you will now, there will be quite a bit of play.

remember having a tub in the auto shop, but don't really remember using it. Maybe on axle splines? was 30+ years ago. bearing grease was in a different tub. wiki says cv joints, but i don't ever remember breaking one open that i wasn't replacing!

Perhaps on propeller shaft splines?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_grease

interesting, it seems to have gone out of favor...would seem to be good for mtb, would not run at these temps, water resistant. guess the dried up thing would trump all of that....

remember having a tub in the auto shop, but don't really remember using it. Maybe on axle splines? was 30+ years ago. bearing grease was in a different tub. wiki says cv joints, but i don't ever remember breaking one open that i wasn't replacing!

Perhaps on propeller shaft splines?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_grease

interesting, it seems to have gone out of favor...would seem to be good for mtb, would not run at these temps, water resistant. guess the dried up thing would trump all of that....

Back in the day, they commonly used it on car door latch pins and probably many other places in the automotive field.
I have an almost full tube of it for you next time I see you. I'm sure there is many creative things you can do with it. :hmmm: :D
One thing I know...It absolutely sucks on bottom bracket cups. I did that ONCE! lol

Last edited:
pivot points get marine grease. bolts got the lithium. I am only speaking from experience. Marine grease lasts forever. The lithium never dried up. worked well for me. bike sat 10 years. 10. bolts came right off. maybe its the brand? or maybe it was the womans touch :p

I STAND CORRECTED :hysterica

to be very frank, I respect Mike.su and his opinions very much, so it was nagging me what he said about the lithium grease, and I said "AM, you bought that grease YEARS ago, maybe you should go read the label, you could be mistaken." :eek:
So I hopped out to the garage this morning, and its white TEFLON grease (by finish line) not white lithium grease that I have been using and works great.

Just didnt want anyone to lose sleep over this.

Back
Top Bottom