Answering my own question, Epic as luggage.

gtluke

The Moped
got it!
435296299_5wRx6-XL.jpg

27x25x10 box, 10 minutes of disassembly, epic in a box!
For the trip I'm going to break it down further, like take the derailleurs and brakes off, and it will fit a LOT better. This was just a trial proof of concept. The only thing not pictured is tires, but you know those are going to fit and i'll use them for padding.
A few days before I leave I'll sit down with packing foam and duct tape and really make sure its secure in there. I'm going to srap the box and take it as airplane luggage. Max size is 62 linear inches and thats exactly where I'm at.

Thankfully a friend of a friend has a cardboard box prototyping machine at work. LOL funny but true.
:D
VEGAS BABY!

gtluke

The Moped
I don't really know yet. Going to Vegas for 2 weeks, spending new years there and then we are driving into Arizona probably. Have to start planning that out this week.

Now I don't have to worry about a bike rental or $200 charge for taking my bike.
I MIGHT actually UPS my bike out there for peace of mind that I can track the package the week before and know its there, and then take it on the plane home to save money.

Mare

I am sure you will find plenty to do there. When I went, I rode at Bootleg Canyon (I have no idea if that is a good place or not compared to surrounding places, but that's where Interbike was), which wasn't that far from Vegas. Get to Zion if you can!! :) Although it's the opposite direction of AZ.

gtluke

The Moped
I want to try everywhere! :D
I don't gamble, or drink so Vegas gets old pretty quick so most of our afternoons will be day bike trips probably.
We have a hotel on the strip for 2 week that we are probably going to use like 3 times. But the thing is, its pretty much free. It was $750 for flight and hotel for 4 days, or $750 for flight and hotel for a week, or $750 for flight and hotel for 2 weeks. I think the deal was $225 for the hotel, no matter how long you stay. Really odd but its nice to have a fall back place if I break my leg or something :D

So someone come out to vegas and sublet my room while i'm gone, CHEAP! :D

Mare

I want to try everywhere! :D
I don't gamble, or drink so Vegas gets old pretty quick so most of our afternoons will be day bike trips probably.
We have a hotel on the strip for 2 week that we are probably going to use like 3 times. But the thing is, its pretty much free. It was $750 for flight and hotel for 4 days, or $750 for flight and hotel for a week, or $750 for flight and hotel for 2 weeks. I think the deal was $225 for the hotel, no matter how long you stay. Really odd but its nice to have a fall back place if I break my leg or something :D

So someone come out to vegas and sublet my room while i'm gone, CHEAP! :D

How about no broken legs and have fun??!!!

warcricket

Like a Jerk
clearly there's adequate clearance for the big hoops; however, this is one advantage of a full sus

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
I was stunned with the little amount of tools that I needed. I've never taken a bike apart before. All i used my my simple Alien multitool and a little plastic thingy to unscrew the hollowtech cap on the cranks.
I plan on bringing all my bike tools, a ton of spare tubes and another set of tires. I'm going to try and get my walmart trunk rack in the box too. Betwee my box and Steve's box it might fit. I got the rental through National, MOST of the time I show up and they tell me to pick any car on the lot, all the same price. Hopefully they have HHR's, PT Cruisers, or Rouges there. Something car like we can fit 2 bikes inside easy.
29er wheels would fit I think, but the key is full suspension, thats the only way this works.
I'm nervous about the airlines losing this though, I can only imagine trying to deal with that...
Its a nonstop flight with Continental though, shouldn't be too bad.

J-7

Make sure to add to or three layers of extra cardboard where pointy things
(i.e. steerer, dropouts, hub ends, etc.) touch the box. Those ends have a way of breaking through when the box is tossed around. Best of luck.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
J-7 would certainly know about these things so I would heed his advice.

gtluke

The Moped
yeah thats what I plan on doing with the duct tape. making little cardboard hats for the ends of things and pointy stuff. I'm going to try a garbage bag + expanding foam to really make the box solid.
I think I'm also going to take all the controls and put them in my carry on, since thats a decent portion of the worth of the bike. Brakes/shifting should easily fit in my camera bag in carry on.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
wouldn't it have just been easier to grab an empty bike box for your LBS?! I understand that you're trying to save money by taking it on the plane, but do watch for the steer tube as warned. I personally think it's easier to box the bike in a bike box, UPS ground it out a week before, and do the same coming back. The cardboard in the bike boxes are mucho thicker.

And maybe sure you make those bolts on the swing arms nice and tight - we don't want to ovalize the pivot holes! :)

Let us know how the bike gets there!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's only $15 each way with Continental. Plus we don't really have a great place to ship it to, the Hotel we're staying at? and what about shipping it back?

The boxes are custom made double wall boxes. VERY STRONG.

I wasn't as lucky as Luke with my bike. My bike is a single pivot Rush but for some odd reason I ran into tons of issues. Running the derailleur cable in the swingarm isn't great for packing the bike up in luggage...

I'm willing to bet my swingarm is 100X stiffer than an epic's rear suspension, but damn it's a pain in the ass.

I'll also never buy a bike without a hollowtech setup. It's so much simpler than square-taper for dissassembly.

-Steve in NJ

M

Mudrunner

Yeah it took you 10 minutes to disassemble your bike, but how about putting it back together once you get to your room?

Top Bottom