Another Newbie

Stocky

Hi, Hello and thanks for having me.

I haven't been on a bike in about 25 + years, back in the days of my BMX bike.
I had planned to purchase a bike last summer and balked because I didn't want to spend $500-$600 on something that might wind up hanging on the wall collecting dust.
Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, I find out 2 of my friends have been riding for the past few weekends ( also rookies ) . So I hit Craigslist and found the same Trek 4300 (that I would have bought last year ) with a handfull of upgrades (rims ,tires ,handlebars ) for $300. I picked it up , headed to Martys to get the needed goodies and have them look it over.
They suggested the $99.00 tune up and that I should replace the chain. I haven't dropped it off yet to have it done.

Last Sunday morning at 6am we rode the Patriots Path from Whitehead Rd to Speedwell and back , then up the hill on the other side of Whitehead ( we all walked it up ) and out to Rt 24 and back to Whitehead.
I had a blast ! I can't wait to go again.

After crossing Speedwell the trail seemed to end with a concrete baricade, could we have gone past the barricade ? Where and how far would it have taken us ?

So I have a few questions. The ride we took was perfect for the 1st time and I'm ok with doing it a few more times, but it is for all intentions FLAT . Trust me I have no cardio ability and I'm also just getting to understand my bike and the gearing.
Can we handle Lewis Morris Park ? or will it be to hilly for us ? I know there alot of trails thru LM, so a specific direction would be appreciated.

I'm looking for suggestions of places to ride for guys like us who are just starting out . Nobody wants to get hurt , or be beaten by the hills . As well we don't want to wind up on trails where we don't belong .

thanks,
Mike

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
welcome to the site mike mike! lewis morris, the tourne or parts of Kittatiny would be great.

NJ Jess

hi there

Great that you are back to biking and spending some quality time on your health. I agree with bonefish,....especially Kittatinny, but don't fear walking the bike a little. We are started the same way. Hope to see you on the trails.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Welcome to the site and back to biking.
depending on were you live you might want to try manasquan reservior this is a more or less flat 5.1 mile track off of rt.9 just north of lakewood. there are some hills but nothing heart stopping.

Stocky

I'm in Rockaway, so for now the local thing works for us.

As for my cardio, I play ice hockey once a week, so combined now with the riding I think I should see an overall improvement .

Last edited:

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
hey welcome aboard! i myself am a bit of a beginner. i agree with mike that manasquan would be an ideal place for you to begin. it has a few minor elevations but really easy for the most part. it also has a couple of woop-dee-dos here and there and a few bridges. its definetly worth checking out for a beginners pace.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Another bike junkie is born, or in your case, reborn. I hear the beginner rides at Allaire are pretty cool.:D

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
if you're in rockaway the best bet is probably the tourne. i mean, it's right there. well, depending on which side of rockaway you live on.

Stocky

if you're in rockaway the best bet is probably the tourne. i mean, it's right there. well, depending on which side of rockaway you live on.

What sort of terrain are we talking about at the Tourne ?
That's alot closer than heading over to LM park.

Stocky

Could you guys explain the term "switchback" that I'm seeing used here so often and how it refers to a trail .

secondspeed02

I hope this helps

Hey Mike
Welcome to site! great new to biking awesome but ya got the BMXING skills nice !! (that will really come in handy)
oh yeah "The Chiller" other side of whitehead rd. is a great hill, never gets boring.. well LM is pretty much hilly but right trails its not that bad -[you can do it I've believe ] .. Sometime if you don't mind I can show you around its better then describing cause gets confusing a little .. Just ask cylcopath-new mt biking too, on this site she'll tell all about me better. plus she's a sweet heart & we usually ride on group rides with other newbies too.. I hoped I've helped a little & Keep cranking too peace
From Evan

Hi, Hello and thanks for having me.

I haven't been on a bike in about 25 + years, back in the days of my BMX bike.
I had planned to purchase a bike last summer and balked because I didn't want to spend $500-$600 on something that might wind up hanging on the wall collecting dust.
Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, I find out 2 of my friends have been riding for the past few weekends ( also rookies ) . So I hit Craigslist and found the same Trek 4300 (that I would have bought last year ) with a handfull of upgrades (rims ,tires ,handlebars ) for $300. I picked it up , headed to Martys to get the needed goodies and have them look it over.
They suggested the $99.00 tune up and that I should replace the chain. I haven't dropped it off yet to have it done.

Last Sunday morning at 6am we rode the Patriots Path from Whitehead Rd to Speedwell and back , then up the hill on the other side of Whitehead ( we all walked it up ) and out to Rt 24 and back to Whitehead.
I had a blast ! I can't wait to go again.

After crossing Speedwell the trail seemed to end with a concrete baricade, could we have gone past the barricade ? Where and how far would it have taken us ?

So I have a few questions. The ride we took was perfect for the 1st time and I'm ok with doing it a few more times, but it is for all intentions FLAT . Trust me I have no cardio ability and I'm also just getting to understand my bike and the gearing.
Can we handle Lewis Morris Park ? or will it be to hilly for us ? I know there alot of trails thru LM, so a specific direction would be appreciated.

I'm looking for suggestions of places to ride for guys like us who are just starting out . Nobody wants to get hurt , or be beaten by the hills . As well we don't want to wind up on trails where we don't belong .

thanks,
Mike

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Switchback

A switchback is essentially a hairpin turn in the trail. Trails up steep climbs are usually built as a series of switchbacks so that the trail "snakes" up the face of the climb, rather than going straight up it.

secondspeed02

technical term helped

I love riding them and Building them too A switchback is a trail up a steep hill or mountain that is like a zig-zag pattern instead of a straight trail. The zig-zag pattern protects the hill and the trail from excessive erosion.

keep cranking
peace

Could you guys explain the term "switchback" that I'm seeing used here so often and how it refers to a trail .

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What sort of terrain are we talking about at the Tourne ?
That's alot closer than heading over to LM park.

if you don't climb to the top of the tourne, it's all pretty rolly stuff. not overly technical and it's fun.

Top Bottom