Another cyclist gone... dirtfest

skyrokz

While attending the dirtrag's dirt fest in Raystown PA this weekend there was an unfortunate tragedy that took place on Friday evening. After the event closed down cyclist had the option of getting on a shuttle or pedaling about 2 miles up a paved road to the upper parking lot where we could leave our bikes, change, leave or get on a shuttle back to the event and enjoy beer, live music among other festivities. My self and buddy Kevin decided to test our legs and skip the shuttle, climb sucked but at the top of the road there was a pleasant downhill that led to a 90° turn into a final 50yard uphill to the upper lot, needless to say we hammered the downhill to coast up the hill, I hugged the turn as tight as I could but still ended up going wide before finally exiting, there was a rav4 coming down and I nearly soiled my bibs a little but there was enough distance between us that I made it back over to the right. After we changed and started walking back to the shuttle so we can go and enjoy the festivities we heard sirens followed by firetrucks, ambulance and state troopers. At the time no details were disclosed other than the fact that a cyclist had been struck by a bus. On Saturday it was confirmed by the event staff that a cyclist in fact had passed away after taking that same exact turn I nearly ran into the Rav4 on and crashing head on with a 53 passenger school bus.
Here's a quick article I found:
http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/05/bicyclist_dies_after_collision.html
I'm mainly writing this because I feel like a complete piece of shit, there was about 50 of us waiting for that shuttle back to festivities and we all had our panties in a bunch because our Friday night festivities were shitted on. the cops wouldn't let any one through. At the time we didn't know there was a fatality but either way knowing that we were bummed about missing a concert and beer yet a man's life had been lost still sux. Another reminder that no matter where you are, event, bike specific path... doesn't matter, don't take your presence on this earth for granted and be aware of your surroundings at all time. More importantly don't act like you have the same rights on a road, don't be cocky because cars have something you don't, few thousand pounds of steel moving at a much higher speed... when it's you against them they will always win and your rights will mean nothing when you are 6 feet under.

Last edited:
Top Bottom