Anemia and cycling ...

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Hi All :)

A recent blood test shows that may I have anemia. The blood levels don't appear to be to be dangerously low, but still for an athlete I need to address this problem. I was wondering if anyone on this site has dealt with this blood problem. I know eating iron rich foods and supplementing iron pills may help, but it may take sometime to re balance the levels and with 7 more MTB races to go and countless cross races coming up time is running out :p Blood transfusions is a risk and is not an opition. Thanks to all who replys,

RC

Last edited:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Not myself, but someone who's close to me is anemic. She said 1. The sooner you get on the iron supplement pills the better, and 2. It may just take time. Depending on how low your levels are, you just may not be able to do much in the way of athletics for the next month.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Has your doc determined the underlying reason for the anemia?

If not, I wouldn't be so fast to start scarfin' the iron supplements. That could only help if your anemia is caused by an iron deficiency, and then, may not help much depending on why you have an iron deficiency (e.g. iron absorption problem).

Here is a link on WebMd that might be useful...
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-anemia-treatment

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Thanks

Thank you for your responses. I have a Dr's Appointment on Thursday to discuss what to do next. I raced this past Sunday at 909. The race had alot of climbs through out the 18 miles and boy it was hard just to finish. Again, thank you for posting,

RC ... :)

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Thank you for your responses. I have a Dr's Appointment on Thursday to discuss what to do next. I raced this past Sunday at 909. The race had alot of climbs through out the 18 miles and boy it was hard just to finish. Again, thank you for posting,

Best of luck...I know what it is like to feel crappy and not know why...

Maybe the anemia is the result of a B-12 deficiency; one B-12 shot and you'll feel like SuperRacerChick.

chxracer

I am also anemic, make sure you talk to your doctor before you start taking any iron supplements, ask him how many mg's, too much can also be dangerous.

Kmoodymz3

I am also anemic, make sure you talk to your doctor before you start taking any iron supplements, ask him how many mg's, too much can also be dangerous.

+1 for this, Iron poisoning is serious; Has the original blood test been repeated? Get a good Dr. who understands you are an athlete. Some Docs just don't get it and treat you just like the average couch potato.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Epo

Hi Chxracer,

If it's not to personal, what has been helping you? My GYN saw my blood levels and prescribed iron supplements. For me it's very confusing, one Dr. had told me if the iron serum and iron saturation is within normal limits than low iron is not the problem :confused: My red blood cell count, hemoglobin and hematocrit are low. For the average person with these blood levels they may never suspect a problem, but for competitive racers it sure makes it difficult. Thank you for posting,

ps: Anyone got any EPO? :D

chxracer

I take an iron supplement each day, but I also try to eat iron rich foods, spinach, bison is great source of iron and not a fatty red meat. It is easier for your body to absorb the iron through the food consumption rather than the supplements. Best of luck!

NJ Jess

Don't forget,...

to consume Vitamin C with the iron supplement or iron rich foods. It will double its absorption rate. Get more sleep too,.......so it's off to bed for me too!

Top Bottom