And still many without helmets

kush

As I was helping out a rider who was injured - just endo'd at the start of the trail and cracked his helmet - we were passed by probably two groups of riders of 2-3 each without helmets.

I gave them the "Put on a helmet a-hole", and one of course gave a smart ass remark, kept going. Whatever.

In general, the place was a walmart special zoo today. I got out at 10am, much later than usual (second ride of the day after a run at Baldpate), maybe its like this later in the day, or its labor day, or whatever. But it is probably the worst i've seen it to date

maybe someone can put up an official looking sign - "helmets mandatory"

kush

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i saw a couple of helmet-less riders yesterday as well, when will people learn? :(

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
The part that sucks and I can see it coming is little Johnny is going to fall and get hurt then sue the parks department for an unsafe trail the parks department then will have no choice but to close off access to the trail pave it and put a mini-mall...

The Kalmyk

The part that sucks and I can see it coming is little Johnny is going to fall and get hurt then sue the parks department for an unsafe trail the parks department then will have no choice but to close off access to the trail pave it and put a mini-mall...

Oh please no:(

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
maybe someone can put up an official looking sign - "helmets mandatory"

kush

Does anyone here have connections w? a sign maker??

Let's make this happen.

I was thinking:

"NO Helmet, NO Riding, NO exceptions"

or

"Wear a Helmet. The Brain you save may be your own"

or better yet:

"Your bike will be confiscated if you are found riding without a HELMET"

"Mr T rides here and he won't put up with your crap"

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

Let's make this happen.

I was thinking:

"NO Helmet, NO Riding, NO exceptions"

or

"Wear a Helmet. The Brain you save may be your own"

or better yet:

"Your bike will be confiscated if you are found riding without a HELMET"

"Mr T rides here and he won't put up with your crap"

i can make some laminated boards at work. they arent serious signs, but maybe they would do the trick.

i saw a rider walking his bike back after i started riding the canal side today, with no helmet.
me: ahh, no helmet? why?
him: ya no helmet......
him: do you have an extra presta tube? i got a flat
me: are you going to walk the rest of the way out?
him: ya
me: no, i dont.

i would have gladly given up my tube for someone walking back with a helmet, but i would rather him walk back then fall from a tube i gave him.

maybe i should feel bad, but i dont.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Tool. Hope he had a nice walk.

No tube and no helmet. Unprepared on many levels.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
oh fusho. my helmet came in use today, i went over a series of two log rollers and ran right into a tree, stupid pedals :p

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
seen a guy today on the river trail at allaire today with no helmet on. i can tell he was an inexperienced rider do to how he was dressed and the bike he had on the trail. he was also very lost. i helped him get back to the trail. by the way he was talking i think he may have been deaf or partially deaf. after my loop of the river trail and back i seen him in the lot and he thanked me for the help. i forgot to tell him about the helmet thing.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Oh please no:(

Dude we live in a society were peaple can bring micky-dees into court for them getting fat from eating the super sized meals ...
all we can do is try and make all riders using the trails ride in a safe manner which means at the very least wearing helmets..

PTB66

donation....

I don't have any connections with a sign maker Jdog, but if you could make it happen I'd gladly give a $100.00 donation for the sign/s.....Had my first endo over the weekend, not sure if I smacked my head on anything but still, I was sure glad I was wearing a helmet.

THATmanMANNY

I like the NO helmets, NO exceptions one. More serious.

I do, but only at a discounted price and not for free. He has done banners for my pops biz. Not sure if he does like board style signs but I can find out. In the meantime... who made those "Dangerous Road Crossing" signs. They seem to be holding up well. How bout get a couple of those up at the trailheads.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I'd donate to the sign fund

Jdog-

I'd kick in some cash as well to get signs made (with the approval of the parks dept, of course).

I don't want to see access killed by a handful of morons and too-cools.

How about: "If you want your skull bashed in, we'll help find someone to do it for you on YOUR property. However, while you're here on community property, wear a helmet"

Just kidding, of course.

I like the "No helmet, No riding, No exceptions" verbiage as well.

Not to hijack, but while we're on the subject of signage what about "Rules of the Trail signs" at the trail heads (including some disclaimer about mountain biking having inherent risks assumed by the rider)? Just a thought. Flame away, if appropriate.

kush

Guys - its only like $45 for two proper looking custom lettered sign (vinyl).

http://www.safetysign.com

it should look and feel official - so something
Helmets MANDATORY
NO Exceptions
Under Penalty of the Law​

Jdog if you order it, i'll be happy to Paypal you part or all of the cost.

kush

MST.ESQ

Legal concerns...

Free legal advice - so remember, you are getting what you paid for :D

I like the helmet sign idea and I think it can be done without causing any issues. But we should consider having MTBNJ, JORBA, IMBA, (or a newly created entity) etc. "sponsor" the signage as a "public service campaign". We can all chip in and pay for it, but there are liability/insurance concerns when parks start putting warning signs at the trailheads. The problem is that once you start peppering trails with warning signs, the Plaintiffs' lawyers will start arguing that the warnings were inadequate as posted - as evidence of neligent maintenance of the parks. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it is sometimes easier to convince a jury that there are no warning signs since mountain biking is an inherently dangerous activity for which no written warning is needed. If we start posting signs, we admit that signs may be necessary, give Plaintiff' lawyers some ammunition (e.g. there were no warnings concerning the log crossings and other skills features, primative wooden bridge is slippery when wet, etc.) which could create issues for parks that do not post.

That being said, a "public service" poster/sign concerning helmet use would probably not be an issue for us if done as a "public service campaign" initiated and carried out by someone other than the park - with permission to post, of course.

kush

fair enough

how would you word the sign?

eg fine print "a public service announcement"?

alex_k

I'm not sure about brainless adults but "Children Must Wear Bike Helmets" is New Jersey Law. This banner is a simple reminder and should not have any legal issue.

BiknBen

Guys - its only like $45 for two proper looking custom lettered sign (vinyl).

it should look and feel official - so something
Helmets MANDATORY
NO Exceptions
Under Penalty of the Law​

Jdog if you order it, i'll be happy to Paypal you part or all of the cost.

kush

Not to piss on the parade but...I bet the sign doesn't last a week. :rolleyes:

6-Mile is in a very populated area and is very accessible to all types of trail users. Therefore, you get all types. Some will choose not to wear a helmet.

Remember helmet use is only required for those 16 and under.
Title 39:4-10.1
In New Jersey, anyone under 17 years of age that rides a bicycle... ...must wear a safety helmet.

Litigation against the state for an accident is not realistic. The plaintiff would have to prove that the injury was the result of gross negligence by the Parks Dept.. Basically, you would have to be injured by one of the park staff to be rewarded anything.

Feel free to try and educate these people. Expect to become frustrated. Once we get everyone wearing helmets we'll move on to cigarette smokers. :rolleyes:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions