And may I Introduce... 30 Speed MTB

don

I think the engineering should go the other way. I remember someone (syadasti?) showing the overlap of gear ratios (or ones that were really close) with a modern 27 gear setup. IIRC, there seemed like lots of overlap.

I can see more gears with a heavier bike (like a big truck has lots of gears) but I'm plenty happy with 8 gears on my 33lb sussy bike. If I'm tired and can't make a climb I'll just hop off and push.

I'd actually like to see either a 2x5 setup w/ a lightweight Hammerschmidt up front. Less gears in the back = less dish and a little lighter weight. And like others have said stronger chains.

The best setup seems like the GBoxx stuff. Internal gearbox that is centrally located on the bike: http://www.g-boxx.com/e-g-boxx2.html

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Read the article, folks! ;)

It's not a 30 speed bike, it's likely going to be a XC race-specific 2x10. 11-34 cassette with an extra cog in the middle to keep the ratio tighter. It'll be designed for two rings up front, and I wouldn't be surprised if the crankset is a 42/28 for max range without all the overlap.

Gearboxes and Hammerschmidt planetary systems are too heavy and inefficient for XC racing. My experience with SRAM drivetrains has been very good over the past few years. I trust they wouldn't be putting this out if it sucked, but we'll see how it works. Sea Otter should be interesting next April... ;)

don

Read the article, folks! ;)

It's not a 30 speed bike, it's likely going to be a XC race-specific 2x10. 11-34 cassette with an extra cog in the middle to keep the ratio tighter. It'll be designed for two rings up front, and I wouldn't be surprised if the crankset is a 42/28 for max range without all the overlap.

Gearboxes and Hammerschmidt planetary systems are too heavy and inefficient for XC racing. My experience with SRAM drivetrains has been very good over the past few years. I trust they wouldn't be putting this out if it sucked, but we'll see how it works. Sea Otter should be interesting next April... ;)

Yup, you're right - I didn't give that article a complete read just went by the 30 speed title. But I wouldn't be surprised if 30 speed came out to the general market at some point.

And yes, the Gearboxx and Hammerschmidt are too heavy for XC racing but I think improvements in them would be very worthwhile for many other of us riders.

syadasti

Wet Rag
I think the engineering should go the other way. I remember someone (syadasti?) showing the overlap of gear ratios (or ones that were really close) with a modern 27 gear setup. IIRC, there seemed like lots of overlap.

Yar.

I switched to 2x9 a long time ago (started out with 3x6 and then on to 3x7>3x8>3x9 prior and then 2x9 with 26,38 then 24, 38 and finally 24,36). I've been speccing 24, 36 with 11-34 rear with medium cage derailleur for many years now. Most East Coast DHer run 36 or 38 front rings with road cassettes, nobody really needs a big ring around here.

2233441132.gif

24381134.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom