An issue with some rouge trail work.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I am working events Friday in N.J. and Saturday in PA, so Sunday will be rough to make it for TM, not that you need me. Beyond that I am available during the week should you need a hand. If so message me.
Thanks dude....

Mudder

Here is a photo taken shortly after the August rain that caused the erosion.

Attachments

• B9DBD9CA-C418-4AE3-B700-3B1E822986BB.jpeg
    B9DBD9CA-C418-4AE3-B700-3B1E822986BB.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 350

EMago

That section was blown out by the last big storm. I saw people working on it a couple of times. It looked like they put in hours of work trying to repair it

Mudder

I rode it yesterday. Pretty fun little drop. Someone put some work in and cleaned it up nicely. You can stay to the right and avoid the drop

Johnny Utah

An issue with some non-rogue trail work.

So this area has been an issue for some time as there is some significant water coming through the area. That being said, while I applaud the effort you generally cannot fix erosion by filling in the hole alone, the water needs to be controlled/redirected to prevent the problem. Trying to pack millings in is just a waste of material/time.

The addition or at least keeping the small relief ditch to left right (when decending) is a great idea, but the ditch is way to small and at too much of an angle to relieve the volume of water creating the issue.

5C65F447-ACA9-45E2-944C-20C160FDB447.jpeg
7D836C4A-F629-4442-B6D9-F31DC7E43470.jpeg
630BC5B6-5AC8-4CE1-81CE-979B7CF38126.jpeg
10AD33F5-F7E1-44DE-A53A-3C4789BB2CD4.jpeg

Last edited:

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
An issue with some non-rogue trail work.

So this area has been an issue for some time as there is some significant water coming through the area. That being said, while I applaud the effort you generally cannot fix erosion by filling in the hole alone, the water needs to be controlled/redirected to prevent the problem. Trying to pack millings in is just a waste of material/time.

The addition or at least keeping the small relief ditch to left right (when decending) is a great idea, but the ditch is way to small and at too much of an angle to relieve the volume of water creating the issue.

View attachment 78925View attachment 78926View attachment 78927View attachment 78928

Yup i does suck what is needed is at least 2 water shedding features at the top. One of the bigger issues is at the very top half the hill was removed this is allowing a lot more of the water that is rolling across to go straight down this trail instead of bing diverted initially. This and the fact we have been getting some bad downpours instead of any all day light rain is a contributing factor. Trust me we are very disappointed by this section not even sure if there is a good reroute line.

Johnny Utah

Yup i does suck what is needed is at least 2 water shedding features at the top. One of the bigger issues is at the very top half the hill was removed this is allowing a lot more of the water that is rolling across to go straight down this trail instead of bing diverted initially. This and the fact we have been getting some bad downpours instead of any all day light rain is a contributing factor. Trust me we are very disappointed by this section not even sure if there is a good reroute line.

Just a suggestion, when going down the trail, for 10-15 feet prior to the ledge/small relief ditch, cut the tread on the right side so the water can drain to the right gully. The roots of the laurels should hold the majority of the soil in to prevent erosion. In addition, being the swell would be 10-15 feet long it allows more area for water to drain off. The tread will need slight grading as well to pitch to the right.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
@Johnny Utah I like that suggestion. Honestly I've been racking my brain with this area wondering how it could be controlled, but always worry about creating new/worse problems when modifying an environment.

Johnny Utah

@Johnny Utah I like that suggestion. Honestly I've been racking my brain with this area wondering how it could be controlled, but always worry about creating new/worse problems when modifying an environment.

For almost ten years my daily job was managing water issues on land. Survey/soil/watershed management. It’s what my bachelors is in.

Simply put where is the water coming from? Where can you put it? How will the soil/area react to the changes?

@mike_243 if you get me a mcloud I will make the updates.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Simply put where is the water coming from? Where can you put it? How will the soil/area react to the changes?

Yeah I'm solid with the first two, but smart enough to realize I'm maybe not that smart with the 3rd question, and therefore proceed with caution in areas such as these. Cheers!

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm maybe not that smart
Now we are on the same page.
I will have to go look at this and use the unused brain tissue I have and figure this out. Some how this can be resolved. Maybe a underground covert...

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Now we are on the same page.
I will have to go look at this and use the unused brain tissue I have and figure this out. Some how this can be resolved. Maybe a underground covert...

Water bars... definitely water bars

Reactions: w_b

w_b

I hit this the other day, just hammer down/ up the middle. Like it’s not even there.

Oh, and definitely waterbars. At least 6. Wally would be so proud.

Johnny Utah

I hit this the other day, just hammer down/ up the middle. Like it’s not even there.

Oh, and definitely waterbars. At least 6. Wally would be so proud.

I can hear Wally saying “this is a shovel, in an untrained hand this is a weapon of distruction”

Reactions: w_b

Johnny Utah

Part one - Unblock the top of the trail, the pooling started here and overfilled back to the trail. You could see the leaves and debris had piled up heavily in this area from water flow. This was the area the concrete was sourced from and put in the washout area.
584BFBD0-F948-4B3D-A358-C6F4A7102DEC.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions