Amazing roadbike experince this AM

rojasj

Early this morning I went out for my road bike or a easy 25 mile loop from Teaneck to Upper Saddle River and back. On the way back on West Saddle River Road a young male deer (a buck) comes out onto the road and starts running along side me. I thought he wanted to cross over so I slowed down so he slowed down. I picked up the pace a bit he picked up the pace a bit. We went along side each other for about three blocks and then he banked west onto the river trail and vanished. Seems like he decided he wanted to just pace along side someone for a bit. The really cool part was he was close enough to me that I could have reached out and touched him.

In my 12 years on a road bike on in that area I have never had that sort of experience. It was truly on of those once in a lifetime moments.

rlb

That's pretty cool! I thought this was going to be a story about a douchebag driver with a sarcastic title.

Kaleidopete

Early this morning I went out for my road bike or a easy 25 mile loop from Teaneck to Upper Saddle River and back. On the way back on West Saddle River Road a young male deer (a buck) comes out onto the road and starts running along side me. I thought he wanted to cross over so I slowed down so he slowed down. I picked up the pace a bit he picked up the pace a bit. We went along side each other for about three blocks and then he banked west onto the river trail and vanished. Seems like he decided he wanted to just pace along side someone for a bit. The really cool part was he was close enough to me that I could have reached out and touched him.

In my 12 years on a road bike on in that area I have never had that sort of experience. It was truly on of those once in a lifetime moments.
I want to see the GoPro video!:rolleyes:

rojasj

That's pretty cool! I thought this was going to be a story about a douchebag driver with a sarcastic title.
You know, in the 12 years that I have been on my road bike on my loops from Teaneck to Airmont NY I've only encountered maybe three real douchebag drivers. One guy called me an a$$hole, one guy hassled me for passing him on the right at a stop light and one cop bitched at me because I looked at him when he almost most hit me as HE pulled out of the PD's drive way. Other than that never much of an issue. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Reactions: rlb

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
check for ticks
tenor.gif

Mountain Bike Mike

Cool Story Bro!

Similar experience on my end over the winter.. was commuting to work on a rail trail, it was 5:45am, dark, light on my helmet... deer pops out of the hedge and runs in front of me for roughly 2 songs (had ear buds in). i paced him at rougly 15mph...

I think his eyes adjusted to my light because every time he looked like he would go left or right, he couldnt see and stayed in front of me.

Neat experience..

Did you have fear that it would decide to cut in front of you and take you out? They seem to be skiddish and unpredictable

Kaleidopete

That reminds me of the Raven that flew out over the roadway in Wawayanda by Black Eagle trail and stayed about 30 feet in front of me and about 30 feet overhead. It flew that way for the next 1 mile following the roadway with me following behind.

rojasj

Cool Story Bro!

Similar experience on my end over the winter.. was commuting to work on a rail trail, it was 5:45am, dark, light on my helmet... deer pops out of the hedge and runs in front of me for roughly 2 songs (had ear buds in). i paced him at rougly 15mph...

I think his eyes adjusted to my light because every time he looked like he would go left or right, he couldnt see and stayed in front of me.

Neat experience..

Did you have fear that it would decide to cut in front of you and take you out? They seem to be skiddish and unpredictable
Hey,

At first I thought he would cut in front of me and my road bike would be toast. But I quickly realized that it wanted a running buddy. Didn't seem skiddish at all.

Top Bottom