Am I the Only One This Obsessive???

sometimes brakeclean and carbclean will make paint become tacky and run... also not a good idea to "spray" anything because it could wind up getting into sealed bearings and ruining them.

my two cents

I don't have the OCD thing with my ride. I run my cogs and chainring completely dry and keep my chain well lubed. I find lubing the cogs and rings causes buildup.
I clean my bike with water and two different size brushes only. Solvents remove the good as well as the bad, so never touch the stuff.
As for wear, I run my drivetrain for years without having shifting probs and I ride three days a week, but, when I do change drivetrain components I have to do everything, cogs, rings and chain.
That's my slack method, but it does seem to work. I definately clean her up after sloppy rides.

cleaning your chain with a the chain cleaner thing after every ride is nuts! Although in the end, your stuff should last longer. I am a big fan of shiny chains and cassettes, but I don't fully clean them as much as i should. Wipe down chains on both road and mtb often, scrub the cassette every once and awhile...

One of the benefits of low gear use, less maintenance and cleaning. The SS's hardly ever get cleaned - the chains wear out from torque more than anything.

I've had the same cassette on the 8 speed sussy rig for years now - that bike doesn't get much use anyways and I try to ride when the trails are in good (non-muddy) shape.

Back
Top Bottom