Am I getting old?

NickDavid

I turned 27 the other day and over the past couple years, I've taken much more pride in my neighborhood. I appreciate people who take care of their lawns, keep the areas clean and generally promote a nice environment. A huge problem I've had over the past few years is people speeding through the streets. I live in a dead end neighborhood with tons of young kids playing in the streets.

Yesterday, I was taking my dog for a nice long walk through the streets when I hear a loud exhaust approaching. A black Mercedes CLK Cabriolet 55 comes flying around a turn and passes me at nearly 90mph (into 25mph). Now, he's headed towards a dead end which is a 1/2 mile away, so I know he'll be returning. I head him coming back, so I walk into the middle of the road to stop him. He slows down and comes to a compelete stop. I walk up to the window and yell at him to slow the f down because of kids in the area. He swerves around me and guns it speeding off again.

Lately, I've had alot of work related stress. I wanted nothing more than him to get out of his car, but thankfully he drove off.

This man was no kid, he was around 50 years old. 7 years ago, I would have sped through as well, but I grew up. It really bothers me to see adults acting in this manner. If you wanna speed, shit, I could care less. Just do it somewhere else, like the highway.

Anyone else notice this crap in their neighborhood or have completely changed their outlook while getting older?

walter

Fourth Party
Wait until you actually have kids, if you dont already. I go to my daughters day care to pick her up and the director tells me that David pushed little Morgan onto the ground and threw sand at her, all of a sudden I'm looking to triangle choke some 3 year old kid and spit in his mothers face.

Dont f with my daughter.

Sorry, no you're not getting old, just maturing. On my street, there are houses on only one side, with woods and a freshly paved basketball court on the other. Three of the six houses here are couples around the same age as my wife and I, early thirties, and we all have kids the same age. Whats funny is when some dick head kids go speeding down the street, my neighbor yells "25 asshole!" almost every time.

What also bothers me is that on the weekend nights the kids park in front of our houses and head into the woods to drink and smoke and whatever else. I know I did the same stuff when I was that young, but I guess know I have the same feelings as you, the whole nice, clean, perfect neighborhood.

Oh well, I just cant wait till I see some kid pissing on my lawn.

Frank

Sasquatch
Just wait until they yell "go f- yourself grandpa !!!!" That's when it really hurts to "mature".:eek:

Shaggz

A strong 7
i started typing the "wait until you have kids..." response last night, but got distracted by the kids. my development is a 15 mph zone, which rarely gets through traffic. i have had to knock on neighbors doors on several occasions reminding them of the fact, and the responses have all been positive. if it is a car i do not recognize, a call goes into the police.

on the road, i have become one of those 911/#77 people. i still rage when i see someone driving like a shit head behind the wheel, but get a real sense of satisfaction when i beep and wave as i pass them pulled over on the side of the road.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah I get irritated too. We live on a dead end so the traffic is minimal. But we have one family on the street with 4 kids, 3 of them at driving age. The youngest driver is an ass behind the wheel. One of the families across the street talked to the father and it got better. But I was a kid before too, and I understand kids do dumb things. I fully expect to have beer stolen from my garage at some point, despite the fact I don't have a garage.

What puzzles me is the 40+ year old guys (usually men but sometimes the soccer mom nation) that drive like assholes. I hate to slap a tag on people in general but man talk about an unhappy segment of the population. Thankfully there are very few people in our neighborhood that drive like that. For the most part, people drive down the street at 20 or less.

Walter,

I don't understand why teachers would tell parents that stuff. Yeah we don't want to see that stuff happen but what good is it to you to know? I think David's parents should be told, and if needed boot the kid from day car or pre-school or whatever. Kids do that crap unfortunately but I'm not really seeing what good it does to get the parents irate like that.

Glancing Aft

How about when someone is rockin one of those "Keep kids alive, drive 25 mph" bumper stickers while speeding through a neighborhood. That pisses me off and makes the vigilante in me come out.

However I'll admit the kid in me has to try to speed whenever I'm on my roadie and go past one of those drive feedback signs (the radar signs that display your speed).

walter

Fourth Party
Walter,

I don't understand why teachers would tell parents that stuff. Yeah we don't want to see that stuff happen but what good is it to you to know? I think David's parents should be told, and if needed boot the kid from day car or pre-school or whatever. Kids do that crap unfortunately but I'm not really seeing what good it does to get the parents irate like that.

Norm,

My daughter's current day care has these things called "ouch reports" which pretty much just sum up any little cuts and bruises that were acquired during the day. She had skinned up both of her palms and just from me asking how it happened, the story came about. I know kids will be kids and especially at that age, its hard to explain the difference between playing and being rough, I'm know my daughter is no angel, but its just the gut feeling you get. My daughter had her leg accidentally broken at 9 months old by two older kids who were playing, so again, just a feeling I get.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i live on a dead end street and people are CONSTANTLY ripping down my road and turning around. one jackass, in particular, lives at the end of the street (top of technically, since i'm actually on the cul-de-sac) and enjoys doing it quite often. there are also two other families with kids, all on my end. the girls aren't out there all that much yet, but they will be ready for bikes soon and a power wheels jeep even sooner. as soon as that happens, that f*cker is getting squashed and i'm gonna start calling the cops on every single person that rips down my road. no one, and i mean NO ONE f*cks with my girls.

ArmyOfNone

Jake on traffic patrol...

21459.jpg

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Once you have kids it changes everything. I used to drive fast all the time, ever since my son was born I find myself driving more carefully and observing the speed limits while driving through town.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Norm,

My daughter's current day care has these things called "ouch reports" which pretty much just sum up any little cuts and bruises that were acquired during the day. She had skinned up both of her palms and just from me asking how it happened, the story came about. I know kids will be kids and especially at that age, its hard to explain the difference between playing and being rough, I'm know my daughter is no angel, but its just the gut feeling you get. My daughter had her leg accidentally broken at 9 months old by two older kids who were playing, so again, just a feeling I get.

Ouch and ouch. I kinda figured this was the answer. There are probably a lot of Litigation Parents so this stuff is sorts required these days. I'm considering installing 38 Specials in my daughter's forearms, but think it might get her into trouble when she scratches her ass.

Broken leg at 9 months is crazy. That must have been awful for you to deal with.

Jake,

I'm not sure killing someone is a good solution.

Top Bottom