Jshort’s bike thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Nope. I was In Florida.

Unless you moved into @rick81721 winter house.

well who went by my house in sprinkles?

@mbruno - were you on the roadie wearing sprinkles in Branchburg?

for what it is worth - the person was clean shaven. Fred have sprinkles?

I was in my car and all you skinny guys......

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
clean shaven
Not me. Definitely not me in the middle of the day on a Monday. I had to do some serious scrolling to see what this thread was all about... Now I'm in a blog. Sick.

One thing on cramping, at least from my limited experience, and not having raced for a year. I only ever cramped during endurance events, the last lap of a XC event, or on a Sunday of a double-header CX weekend. Always in the same spot, both adductors, the long muscle on the inside of your thigh. This lead me to believe that, at least in my case, it was due to muscle fatigue, not an electrolyte thing. Incorporating weights was huge for me, split squats target those muscles, and just a little bit of strength training eliminated cramping.

@Norm there was a good "Science Vs." podcast episode about the non-blinded placebo studies. If I get cramps again, I'm putting some energy crystals in my jersey pocket to see if they help.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Norm there was a good "Science Vs." podcast episode about the non-blinded placebo studies. If I get cramps again, I'm putting some energy crystals in my jersey pocket to see if they help.

Placebos are awesome. You've seen the Matrix, ya?

The Kalmyk

@jShort i saw these come across my feed. Its evident the performance numbers are important to you. So, if wonder what your thoughts on these are? In race for example, is this a distraction?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cheap bike fuel experiment …
33B38FEA-C5EF-4CC9-8E91-4446C81A8C95.jpeg

When your stans dries up and you have an insert…
B7217128-43FA-4162-8FFE-2668C3B537F3.jpeg

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
interested in how this experiment goes, please return with definitive results. kthanks.
I’ll use it this week. I might add a nun tab for flavor. But I’ll go straight sugar and salt at first.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What are your thoughts on honey instead of sugar? I sometimes add it to Nuun and so far it seems to work.
I’m not an expert, but I think chemically they are pretty similar. Honey has some other stuff in it, but it’s very close to table sugar.

It’s also much more expensive than regular sugar, so to fuel 60 - 100 grams an hour would cost too much.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I’m not an expert, but I think chemically they are pretty similar. Honey has some other stuff in it, but it’s very close to table sugar.

It’s also much more expensive than regular sugar, so to fuel 60 - 100 grams an hour would cost too much.
I only tried honey because I was told it was less likely to spike down as quickly and gives a more slow steady burn. It is also natural. I do not know how true that is or even if that was what you were looking for. I have not raced in a awhile, so I have not tried it racing yet either.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I only tried honey because I was told it was less likely to spike down as quickly and gives a more slow steady burn. It is also natural. I do not know how true that is or even if that was what you were looking for. I have not raced in a awhile, so I have not tried it racing yet either.

It seems like sugar has been vilified but it’s exactly what a body burns when exercising. I’m not sure what burns fast or slow and steady. But I do know that all the ridiculously expensive endurance drinks (maurten, SIS Beta Fuel, flow, etc,) are all basically glucose and fructose with a little salt. But they charge $4 for a serving which is insane when it’s literally just sugar.
I started mixing my own Maltodextrin and Fructose but even that is way more than sugar.

I’ll figure out the price per serving when i try different mixes.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I made some snacks for racing I got from a running site. Basically mix rice, scrambled eggs, honey and soy sauce. Make into little balls and keep in sandwich baggs. Carbs, protein and easy to digest.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Maple syrup is one to look at too, untapped tried it a few years ago but it was stupid expensive for 100 calories. Some people apparently keep it in a little squirt bottle
Too.

Top Bottom