Alternative to Wet Trail Rides

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Figured I would get a discussion going to list places to go when it’s a swamp out there. In the Allaire area the two that come to mind are the Manasquan Reservoir in Howell and Edgar Felix Bike Path, which gets you from the beach (more like Main St. Manasquan, but close enough) to Allaire Village, with a detour that leads to the Wall Police Station area for some extra miles.

The Reservoir is a gravel bridle path type of deal, about 5.5 miles or so. Nothing too exciting trail wise, but it has many good things to see and do. There is a wonderful nature center, with a live cam on a bald eagle nest, aquatic displays and general tree-hugging coolness. There is also a clean bathroom in there. The reservoir itself is quite picturesque, and one can't help but notice the amazing amount of talented joggers who frequent the trail.

The Edgar Felix is paved. I like it because I can ride to it from my house, then head to Allaire in relative safety from the cell phone wielding mini van freaks. A fun ride is to park up at the Village, then head down to the beach. Once you get into downtown Manasquan just cross route 71 and you will eventually wind up on the north end of Manasquan. Cruise south to the inlet and dig on the water, boats cruising by, etc. Be sure to wave to the building with the orange roof across the way, my office windows are looking back at you. :D

Post up your alternative rides when it is wet for those who dont ride the road. I am sure there are a lot of awesome places to bring the fat tires and have fun. Urban rides, college's, etc.

BiknBen

Post up your alternative rides when it is wet for those who dont ride the road. I am sure there are a lot of awesome places to bring the fat tires and have fun. Urban rides, college's, etc.

I've been known to ride the Delaware Raritan Canal to Princeton. It's an unpaved path. You can go urban style in Princeton or find plenty of other stuff to do. The canal runs from Somerset/New Brunswick to Trenton. Then continues North out of Trenton up to Frenchtown, NJ.

http://www.dandrcanal.com/maps.html

BiknBen

Or just go for a run

Well yeah. I did overlook the obvious. I'm a winter runner simply for exercise when ride time is reduced. I rarely run on weekends though. The wheels go down on Saturday and Sunday. :getsome:

I was on the road today to avoid the wet trails.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
I've been known to ride the Delaware Raritan Canal to Princeton. It's an unpaved path. You can go urban style in Princeton or find plenty of other stuff to do. The canal runs from Somerset/New Brunswick to Trenton. Then continues North out of Trenton up to Frenchtown, NJ.

http://www.dandrcanal.com/maps.html

i used to do this all the time, before i found out about 6 mile, because i live right next to it. Princeton is a lot of fun to ride around lots of stairs, drops and such, and just the right amount of traffic to pretend I'm a bike messenger in an alleycat race. However, the trail is very linear and uneventful and does flood over on the spill ways after rain fall. parallel to the the trail is canal rd. that is often swarmed by road cyclist but offers an enjoyable ride.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
The Rail to Trails (The Henry Hudson trail) that runs pretty much from Freehold to Atlantic Highlands is a good wet day alternative, (with Sandy Hooks paved trails out to Fort Hancock a short, soon to get connected? road ride away.) From there it goes down the sea wall thru Sea Bright into Long Branch. It is a great training ride when you have to fight that head wind. There are also some great places to eat in Sea Bright and the Highlands.

Last edited:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Good post Kenny!

There's about 5 or 6 maybe 7 miles of pavement within Jungle Habitat. If there's snow and ice on them, bonus fun. :getsome: Its not worth driving up for but if youre local its an option to gravelly, salty roads.

Please avoid the new single track (Shute and Warthog) if its wet and not frozen solid. Some ruts have been forming recently.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Yes good thread indeed. I usually ride the road, and I find that if you search, you can find some good replacements to get you through those few days.

One of mine:

Road ride from Ringwood Manor up to Harriman. Big long climbs, pockets of cold/warm air from the mines, frozen lakes, verdant forests peeking through the snow-melt, the hawk over head, the pileated woodpecker swooping from tree to tree, and little or no traffic. I can easily get lost in myself like a mountain bike ride. I have always cherished the feeling of privilege I get from visiting a park in off season. I come home feeling gifted and refreshed.

:rolleyes:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
my alternative now has been taking to the streets - but on an urban hardtail to do some urban 'assaults' on downtown new brunswick and surrounding RU campuses.

generally i just look for stairs, benches, features, and the like to jump on, off, over, around. its been pretty good fun - kinda like mtn biking, only... different.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
my alternative now has been taking to the streets - but on an urban hardtail to do some urban 'assaults' on downtown new brunswick and surrounding RU campuses.

generally i just look for stairs, benches, features, and the like to jump on, off, over, around. its been pretty good fun - kinda like mtn biking, only... different.

yea i like to hit rutgers and n. brunswick (around the train station mostly) for my pretend trails riding, i fail really bad most of the time.

Top Bottom