Alternate MTB Options

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
thats sweet how hard is it to paddle efficiently with the wooden paddles? i would think that it would be a lot more work than some of the new fangled engineered carbon fiber ones...

i spent a long weekend in paddling in acadia last september... had a blast... waiting for the funds to get a boat..

Hey jimjo, Those are Greenland Paddles. The Inuit (very first sea kayakers) used these to paddle their skin-on-frame boats while hunting seal.

We also have several fancy-pants carbon fiber paddles but we don't use them any more. Believe it or not, I would much rather paddle with a carved out 2X4 than a $500.00 carbon paddle. I guess it's kind of like going from a geared bike to a singlespeed.....simplicity.

The greenland paddles are better for performing different kinds of rolls that you can't do with a conventional "euro paddle". Being made out of wood, they are naturally buoyant so bracing is easier as well.

They are also more efficient for paddling long distances. The surface area is spread out "longer" rather than centralized at the end of the paddle.
I recently paddled completely around New York City using one of these and my back barely felt the impact. You don't get the same initial "bite" while accelerating as you would with a euro blade but once you get going, it's all cruise control.

The only application I don't use a greenland stick for is surfing...not good for surfing. I use a whitewater paddle for that.

Yeah Maine is a great Sea Kayaking destination. Tracy and I where there in July paddling around Mount Dessert Island. It was foggy and dreary the whole trip though. Plan to go back again this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom