Alrighty 29er it is .......

Triple-B

I've decided to go with a SS 29er. Now the fun part is finding one.
So far I've found the Redline Monocog 29er as one choice. Are there any other companies that sell a complete one. I'm not building one. I want it done & ready for fun. Any suggestions ????

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
myself and walter will fully endorse the haro mary. walt's doing some serious upgrading to his but mine is all stock 'cept for the grips. super fun bike to ride.

alamuchy joe has an MC 29er so he can chime in on the pros/cons of that bike...but for $425 i can't imagine there are many cons.

J-Dro

If you're looking for steel fully rigid, check out the Haro Mary and the Raleigh XXIX. If you have more cash to burn, look at the Niner SIR9.

As for Aluminum frames with a suspension fork, Gary Fisher Rig or the Niner One9.

These are just off the top of my head. The 29er market is getting a lot more choices these days.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
My buddy has a Raleigh XXIX and loves it! Now he won't ride anything else.
I test rode the Jamis Exile and it felt pretty good.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you're looking for steel fully rigid, check out the Haro Mary and the Raleigh XXIX. If you have more cash to burn, look at the Niner SIR9.

As for Aluminum frames with a suspension fork, Gary Fisher Rig or the Niner One9.

These are just off the top of my head. The 29er market is getting a lot more choices these days.

very true, and these are all "production" bikes by larger companines. if you were so inclined, you could go the custom route which opens up the choices indefinitely. be warned though...a steel frame alone will cost you in the neighborhood of a very well spec'd bike...or in terms of the bikes we're talking about here, about 1.75 haro marys or five MC 29ers.

TonyC

triple-b,
how much $$ are you talking?
Pretty much all the big companies will or have a fully built one in their lineup.

I have my eye on a complete Salsa El Mariachi 1x9 /SS(ebb) 29'er. Nice selection of parts per price plus it's steel. Buy a SS Cog of your choice and you're set.

Why don't you want to build? That's the fun part for me.

Later
Tony

Last edited:

Triple-B

TonyC, I'm trying to only spend like $1000. I know to build it with all the goodies it will be well over that. I want something I can ride now.

There goes the Niner idea.

Triple-B

myself and walter will fully endorse the haro mary. walt's doing some serious upgrading to his but mine is all stock 'cept for the grips. super fun bike to ride.

alamuchy joe has an MC 29er so he can chime in on the pros/cons of that bike...but for $425 i can't imagine there are many cons.

Bonefish, Spoke to a local bike shop and they got a Mary in my size and ready to go for $899. Is that a good price ???

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bonefish, Spoke to a local bike shop and they got a Mary in my size and ready to go for $899. Is that a good price ???

no, that's a little high.

the most you should pay is about $850 and i'm pretty sure that jdog at halters will even beat that price.

Im not sure when they will be out. But the 08's are sexy.

J is in south brunswick off of rt 1

i've only seen the baby blue mary SS...is there more mis-information out there that i don't know about?

Last edited:

walter

Fourth Party
wait for the '08 mary's to come out. :)

Fred, I dont know if you are suggesting this as in purchasing a left over at a savings? But on mtbr the girl Downhilljill who I think either races or works or both for Haro says that Haro is going to fall into the lines of other companies like Santa Cruz, etc. that do not have a model year. She says they will only be upgrading things on an as needed basis. The model will only be id'd by color and manufacture date.

That being said, yes, I agree with Jake, check out a Haro Mary.

ArmyOfNone

Fred, I dont know if you are suggesting this as in purchasing a left over at a savings? But on mtbr the girl Downhilljill who I think either races or works or both for Haro says that Haro is going to fall into the lines of other companies like Santa Cruz, etc. that do not have a model year. She says they will only be upgrading things on an as needed basis. The model will only be id'd by color and manufacture date.

Well I was just thinking of waiting for the new ones to arrive bc of the color options. J always finds away to make a sweet deal.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I've decided to go with a SS 29er. Now the fun part is finding one.
So far I've found the Redline Monocog 29er as one choice. Are there any other companies that sell a complete one. I'm not building one. I want it done & ready for fun. Any suggestions ????

I like my MC 29er -- it is a heavy beast, but it definitely is fun to ride. It was not that expensive, either (about $475 for the whole deal). She has rim brakes, but they function pretty well. The MC 29er flight is a more decked out version of the Monocog. That might be a better choice for a primary ride.

I would recommend the MC 29er if this is your secondary bike -- I wouldn't reocommend it as your primary bike. I have a Giant Trance as my primary and after riding the MC, it makes the Trance that much more sweet. :)
If you want to try something fun, ride a 29er for a few miles and then immediately hop on a 26er and ride like hell. The 26er will feel so twitchy and less stable for the first mile -- pretty funny.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's

looks like 60-90 days for the "08" haros. since geometry is going to be the same, unless you simply love baby blue and MUST have it, pick up an 07.

as for downhilljill, she is a brand manager for haro. i've had more than a couple conversations with her about the mary and various other things.

ArmyOfNone

The baby blue is a no brainer. Is it not?

looks like 60-90 days for the "08" haros. since geometry is going to be the same, unless you simply love baby blue and MUST have it, pick up an 07.

as for downhilljill, she is a brand manager for haro. i've had more than a couple conversations with her about the mary and various other things.

Triple-B

I like my MC 29er -- it is a heavy beast, but it definitely is fun to ride. It was not that expensive, either (about $475 for the whole deal). She has rim brakes, but they function pretty well. The MC 29er flight is a more decked out version of the Monocog. That might be a better choice for a primary ride.

I would recommend the MC 29er if this is your secondary bike -- I wouldn't reocommend it as your primary bike. I have a Giant Trance as my primary and after riding the MC, it makes the Trance that much more sweet. :)
If you want to try something fun, ride a 29er for a few miles and then immediately hop on a 26er and ride like hell. The 26er will feel so twitchy and less stable for the first mile -- pretty funny.

How heavy is this beast and the flight/green one is the one I was looking at.

My buddy in Colorado said he can get me a Ventana El Padrino frame for $800 and I just looked them up and it's sweet but I wanna ride NOW, not wait till spring after building up another $2500+ bike.

Whats up with the bars on the Mary ?? They look like a beach comber bar !!!

Top Bottom