Allamuchy this morning...

F

FallGirl1430

Watching Ryan freeze

Hola Ryan,

Riding a bicycle in the single digits is crazy and plus when you hit the ground (as I usually do) it really hurts. As it sit here looking at my mountain bike leaning against the wall, I so bad want to ride. I think riding my trainer is a wonderful thing. I do have lotsa warm skivies but it ain't gonna happen. For me any temp >under< 60 degrees is winter! If I rode in the frigid temps you spoke of I would be miserable :mad2: :p
Shar0se, you had mentioned a women's 24 hour at Allamuchy ... are you saying that one would ride for 24 hours? or is it more of a relay?
Fallgirl :)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
fallgirl, winter mountain biking seems alot less crazy when you think about skiing/snowboarding. people doing those are mainly just moving downhill, and usually with some speed. mountain biking in the winter has downhills, but you also work hard on the climbs, which builds up heat. typical conversation with someone who sees me riding in sub-freezing temps:

them:
"are you insane? / you're not gonna ride in this weather , are you?"

me:
"yes, and it's not insane. nobody thinks skiers and snowboarders are insane."

them:
"oooh yeeaaaah! i forgot." (proceed with numerous questions about distance, speed, etc...

J

joanqs

feet and hands

until they make snowboarding type boots with cleats and big fat boarder style mittens to ride with -cold weather riding is ...cold. plus when the seat gets icy..it is slippery and oh yeah....cold.

and about the coyote:
Division of Fish and Wildlife at 908-735-8793
DEP Hotline at 877-WARN-DEP

report it

ArmyOfNone

Its all about finding the right gear. There are shoes that will keep you warm, and i picked up a pair of gore winter gloves (thanks J!) that are not bulky in the least and are super warm.

xc62701

Hola Ryan,

Riding a bicycle in the single digits is crazy and plus when you hit the ground (as I usually do) it really hurts. As it sit here looking at my mountain bike leaning against the wall, I so bad want to ride. I think riding my trainer is a wonderful thing. I do have lotsa warm skivies but it ain't gonna happen. For me any temp >under< 60 degrees is winter! If I rode in the frigid temps you spoke of I would be miserable :mad2: :p
Shar0se, you had mentioned a women's 24 hour at Allamuchy ... are you saying that one would ride for 24 hours? or is it more of a relay?
Fallgirl :)

It's not that crazy as sean explained. It can be tricky though. On my ride today everything was glazed over nicely and left a little traction. It really required studded tires which I didn't have of course. It was like the trails were completely paved, absolutely beautiful. So I was slipping a little but it was still fun. I even had a an AWESOME endo. I went to ride over a log at a cautious speed(for me) and there was some powder on the other side of the log that my front wheel buried into and I went flying fully dismounted on my face with my bike landing on top of me. It stung a bit but I'll be back out there again. :) Maybe even tomorrow. We just need some slightly warmer temps to soften things up.

24 hour events are great. You can do it solo - as many laps as you can in 24 hrs, or on a 2, 4, or 5 man/woman relay team.

xc62701

until they make snowboarding type boots with cleats and big fat boarder style mittens to ride with -cold weather riding is ...cold. plus when the seat gets icy..it is slippery and oh yeah....cold.

and about the coyote:

report it

Pearl Izumi lobster gloves for hands and well layered feet work well. I'll be making a call soon.

xc62701

and about the coyote:

report it

Oh and as far as the Coyote - it was still there today and I moved it off the trail so as least it was out of sight and will be taken care of naturally.

S

Shar0se

Well I still think you are all nuts. When I ski- I've got ski pants, fuzzy warm boots with heaters, etc. If I rode in all that I'd sweat too much, if I didn't I'd freeze.....I'll stick to warm temps. :D

As for the 24 hr thing- you can do it solo- as many laps as you can in 24 hrs. Another thing I think is crazy- I was thinking a 4 or 5 woman team- you each take turns riding laps and your team does as many as they can in 24 hours. A couple other gals I know are interested.... :) I've been there two times- acting as a support crew each time- my turn to ride.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
To answer your original question...

Yep, I was out there Sat AM with a few buds. We stayed on the 517 side (Cardiac, Candy A, etc), so not sure if those track you saw were ours, but it sure was fun! Looks to be a perfect ice skating rink now, will be breaking out the Nokian's this weekend!

Top Bottom