Allamuchy this morning...

xc62701

Hey guys and gals. I was in Allamuchy this morning for a nice tour and found out that conditions were really pretty decent. There were sections of 1' hardpacked snow that almost looked like textured ice and then there were parts of 2-3" of compacted snow. If you rode on the harpacked stuff you were pretty solid. But the other stuff you broke through the top layer making traveling very slow. I Went from the cranberry lake park and ride over to the tranquility side and all over in between. I did see some other tracks there from 2 or 3 other bikers. Was anybody from here out there this am?

I was a little astounded when I came to the top of turtle rock and found something a little shocking: A coyote that was shot hanging from a limb close to ground level right near the rock. It also had a small section of rope tied to its back leg. So it looked like someone killed it and dragged it back there, maybe for a trap? Is this even legal? Are coyote's protected? Why would someone do this?

Outside of this sight it was a pretty good ride. It was slow but I got 3.5 hours in.

Bad deal..

The coyote thing is pretty poor. I doubt that to be an approved hunting procedure. I encourage you to report it to the park. 973-398-7010. I think that is on the white trail. I find that to be disrespectful of the other users and of the woods and wildlife. I believe that if I came across anyone doing such a thing I would probably have to shove my fist into someones face.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Punching people with guns, probably not a long lasting hobby.

xc62701

Yup it's right off the white trail. In plain sight. I was a little distraught when I saw it to say the least. I just wonder what it was there for? A trap? A message to other users?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
The coyote thing is pretty poor. I doubt that to be an approved hunting procedure. I encourage you to report it to the park. 973-398-7010. I think that is on the white trail. I find that to be disrespectful of the other users and of the woods and wildlife. I believe that if I came across anyone doing such a thing I would probably have to shove my fist into someones face.

You ain't gonna last too long w/ that approach.............

Plain as day.

Some things I wear on my sleeve and I will shove my fist into the face of an a-hole, gun or not. And that's about all I'm gonna say about that.

F

FallGirl1430

Killing animals is horrible, hanging them from a tree is a crime. Makes me ill.
Do they ever have races at allamuchy? I have never been there, but from what I've been reading here, it sounds incredible.
Fallgirl

xc62701

Yes allamuchy is a fantastic place to ride. Absolutely my favorite place to ride in NJ. I've got a pretty good knowledge of most of the trails. If you want a tour just say so. I think I may be able to lead a couple of rides if there's interest.

S

Shar0se

Killing animals is horrible, hanging them from a tree is a crime. Makes me ill.
Do they ever have races at allamuchy? I have never been there, but from what I've been reading here, it sounds incredible.
Fallgirl
I can't say that I have actually raced at Allamuchy but I know they have races there- there is the 24 hours of Allamuchy, All-A-Muchy.....help me out guys??

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just the 24 HoA now. Nothing else planned for '08 as the 12 O'Muchy and All/More-O-Muchy are taking 2008 off again.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
there are so many things going on in this thread i could write a book.

but, i'll just start, and end at this: let's hope that we are all smart enough to know that we should not bring fists to a gun fight. brett is 100% right in saying you won't last long.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What if you're a Super Hero with really, really large fists?

(and a kevlar vest)

xc62701

Havent' you ever seen the matrix? You can bring fists to a gunfight, you just have to be "the one".

F

FallGirl1430

Allamuchy

Hello Ryan,
Thank you for the reply, yes a group ride would be fun, aslong as there is no snow on the ground. Once the temps rise (above 40) I plan to do a first of many rides at Sourlands too. That park looks great and it's not to far from South Plainfield. I walked some of the trails and now I can't wait to ride there. I have been reading posts from this site about Allamuchy and it sounds awesome. I tried riding a few times at Chiminey Rock ... maybe I was just on the wrong trails, but I rode away wondering just what everyone rave's aboout :confused:
Have a great day,
Fallgirl

xc62701

Hello Ryan,
Thank you for the reply, yes a group ride would be fun, aslong as there is no snow on the ground. Once the temps rise (above 40) I plan to do a first of many rides at Sourlands too. That park looks great and it's not to far from South Plainfield. I walked some of the trails and now I can't wait to ride there. I have been reading posts from this site about Allamuchy and it sounds awesome. I tried riding a few times at Chiminey Rock ... maybe I was just on the wrong trails, but I rode away wondering just what everyone rave's aboout :confused:
Have a great day,
Fallgirl

Above 40? Come on and get some of that cold weather gear. I'll be out riding well into the teens and probably single digits. I'll do anything to avoid the trainer! Really it's not that bad if you have the right gear. If not it's just downright miserable. Allamuchy is a great spot. There's a little of everything is that place. Every time i take a faceplant I always come up smiling(Once I know nothing is broken...) :D :D :D

S

Shar0se

Above 40? Come on and get some of that cold weather gear. I'll be out riding well into the teens and probably single digits. I'll do anything to avoid the trainer! Really it's not that bad if you have the right gear. If not it's just downright miserable. Allamuchy is a great spot. There's a little of everything is that place. Every time i take a faceplant I always come up smiling(Once I know nothing is broken...) :D :D :D
You are nuts!

I'm with you FallGirl- 40+ works for me. I'd be interested in riding at allamuchy as well. Hoping to get a female team together for 24 hrs of Allamuchy this year! :)

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
looking at the weather, it appears to do any "serious" riding over the next coupla weeks, it's gonna require spikes.

Top Bottom