allamuchy (north)... trails ?s

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
yo yo yo

i have never been to the allamuchy north area (i have ridden deer park). i'm seeing if i can get some wheel time on the dirt sunday, but with the rain i had down by me, i'm afraid it'll be wet if it doesn't freeze.

did you guys get snow up there? should i stay away on sunday or do you think with the freeze allamuchy will be ok for some riding?

:hmmm:

first person to reply gets cheese from me. yep, cheese.

xc62701

I was there late yesterday and it had about 2-3" of fluffy stuff on the trails. The trails themselves were frozen except for a few obvious spots. I can't vouge for the latter part of the storm. I'm assuming it got a little rain/ice which will actually be pretty sweet if it sets up like last time. The rain/ice will pack down the snow and give it a solid layer to cruise on top. The only drawback...you may need studs. It's so much fun when those conditions happen though. It's supposed to stay pretty cold till Sunday so it should all be in good shape. Go ride it!!!

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Where's my cheese?

thanks man -

here you go

mount-rushmore-cheese.jpg

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
thanks again - and it looks like i'll be riding it!!! i'm pretty psyched - new (to me) trails!!!:getsome:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
yo yo yo

i have never been to the allamuchy north area (i have ridden deer park). i'm seeing if i can get some wheel time on the dirt sunday, but with the rain i had down by me, i'm afraid it'll be wet if it doesn't freeze.

did you guys get snow up there? should i stay away on sunday or do you think with the freeze allamuchy will be ok for some riding?

:hmmm:

first person to reply gets cheese from me. yep, cheese.

I don't know if making your first ride in Allamuchy North on a day with a predicted high of 24 deg with a wind chill of 10 deg is the best thing. :)

There are lots of unmarked trails in there and unless you have a guide or a GPS it is easy to get turned around in Allamuchy North. I'd suggest saving the exploration for a nicer day.

Do I get some free government cheese to go with my whine?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah if you're doing this solo I'd bring a satellite phone...

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
yeah - i have heard that you can get really turned around in there - but a friend of mine is guiding me.

thanks for the heads up tho. my camelback will definitely have an emergency space blanket it in for this ride.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What about flares?

You have GPS? Nothing a good GPS, several batteries, a Jeep, and a 25mm automatic grenade machine gun can't help you with.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
there should still be snow on the ground. you won't get lost. if you can't figure out a loop you will have the option of backtracking.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
... and a 25mm automatic grenade machine gun can't help you with.

We don't have those yet. We do have the Mk19 40mm grenade launcher that acts like a machine gun, which would probably come in handy. :D

mk19mod3.jpg

Last edited:

walter

Fourth Party
We don't have those yet. We do have the Mk19 40mm grenade launcher that acts like a machine gun, which would probably come in handy. :D

mk19mod3.jpg

I have video of my friend shooting something like that over in Pa., or maybe it was a Street Sweeper:hmmm:

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
instead of a gps, how about a large bucket of bread crumbs? maybe cheese crumbs?

i'll just sprinkle feta cheese all over the ground and follow that trail back out.

if that doesn't work, i'll opt for the guns.

or maybe tuna fish sandwiches?

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
i'm hashing out time with the other riders right now via email... i'm hoping its 9am. that will be figured out by today.

as soon as i know, i'll post up the time and the start place too - i'll ask my buddy who's leading where we're starting from.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Joe - wikipedia never lies!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenade_launcher

Check out the image under "types". That's where I got it. I don't know shit about grenades aside from the fact I don't sleep with them.

Yep, that's the XM307 Advanced Crew Served Weapon -- its a machine gun and a grenade launcher. Neat stuff. I often heard that test firing it from my building. I don't think its materiel released, though.

Okay -- enough geek talk. Back to our regularly scheduled program... :)

Top Bottom