Allamuchy North Conditions

kidzach

I'm always of the belief that North should be marked a thousand times better than it is. But I guess those in the know like to keep the trails to themselves, Almost like the hikers/neighbors in Watchung Reservation.

Fat Trout

I'm always of the belief that North should be marked a thousand times better than it is. But I guess those in the know like to keep the trails to themselves, Almost like the hikers/neighbors in Watchung Reservation.
I hear what your saying but I have to say that this isn't a case of those in the know wanting to keep it to themselves. To the contrary, the more some trails get used the more they stay open and cleared for local folks too. Main state sanctioned trails are all marked (except perhaps lumpy bumpy). The thing with Allamuchy is there are a LOT of unofficial trails. The limited official TM that exists has to focus on the main trails to keep in the good graces of the parks folks. Some folks put their own time in to try to keep up some of these unmarked trails but marking them seems to potentially get you into hot water. Not to mention without a coordinated effort the marking would be random depending on who did it and how its done. I'd love to see more marking and therefore more use which would keep some trails in a better state, unfortunately it is what it is.

ryderX

I haven’t ridden here all year, how are the trails? How do you get to candy ass from the Sussex branch parking lot?
I'd just recommend parking over in the Tranquility trailhead parking lot which is off of exit 19 80W.

ryderX

Yup, it's a conspiracy to get foreigners, interlopers and whiners out of the promise land.

HiFiGuy

Was there this morning, I was surprised how wet the climb up cardiac was in spots. Some low lying trails were very wet with standing water but most were fine.

Fat Trout

I hiked part of Waving willy with my wife/dogs yesterday. it was a mess and running water everywhere. I was on white a little too and saw ponded water there in not so usual places. I know the north is know to drain well but I would expect a lot of water wherever you are use to seeing a little water and probably some water where you don't normally see it for at least the next few days. I can't remember seeing it quite this wet before.

phillychris498

This wet season is giving Allamuchy North a beating. This is the White trail after it splits off from yellow, and before it reaches the four bump bypass:

EE3B19E3-9166-4FD1-8ADD-8F7AED1A521B.jpeg
EC3B665E-D165-4FE4-93C3-7BD0FD5D6E35.jpeg
0693ED3B-4824-4DC5-80B7-CE5275D79DCE.jpeg

I’ve been riding the trails at Allamuchy for years and I haven’t seen them this wet in spots. I know the white trail has gotten some rerouting done for the first half of it; I’d definitely like to help rerouting this section, as it could certaintly use a reroute.

Other than this spot, white has a few other sections where the reroutes are filling in with water worse than the original quad trail. There’s also a tree down across a stream crossing when going over towards tranquility, maybe a half mile before white meets purple on the other side.

goldsbar

White has been awful for much of the year. Those pics are not unusual, unfortunately. It's similar near the other side of the park near ice cream.

The other side has some HUGE trees down on purple and a couple on orange.

FitmanNJ

Allamuchy North was semi-frozen today, with the sun melting some of what I'm sure were formerly frozen patches despite the fact that the temperature remained a few degrees below freezing. There was still quite a bit of ice that remained, making studded tires a real asset. The standing water was deep in places, and the ice sheets on top were not always capable of bearing the weight of the bike + rider. There really wasn't any mud, though -- that could change with warmer temps predicted for tomorrow. Another post was asking about snow still being around, but, no, that wasn't the case.

ryderX

I spent 2+ hours in Allamuchy N today and found the trails in surprisingly good shape. Not much standing water and next to no mud. If the weather stays somewhat dry over the next few days the park will be perfect next weekend.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I spent 2+ hours in Allamuchy N today and found the trails in surprisingly good shape. Not much standing water and next to no mud. If the weather stays somewhat dry over the next few days the park will be perfect next weekend.
I can concur this assessment. Rode the short track course also with permission. Should be a pretty easy clean up For race day...

CraigB

Rode north yesterday and it was pretty wet except for the top of purple. White up from tranquility was a flowing river and so was cardiac down from candyass entrance. Ice cream and cardiac switchback were perfect though??

cbiker

Rode there sunday and it was mostly dry. Hadnt been up there in a while seems like a lot of the singletrack is now quad double track and destroyed. Didnt see any mtbs but saw four dirtbikers and three quads.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode there sunday and it was mostly dry. Hadnt been up there in a while seems like a lot of the singletrack is now quad double track and destroyed. Didnt see any mtbs but saw four dirtbikers and three quads.
This is north and not Stephen's your posting correct because same is happening there also. I have not been over to the cranbury side only tranquility side of the park and haven't noticed this.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions