Allamuchy North Bouldering Info?

phillychris498

I'm looking to get back into bouldering (Other than a test-session locally the other day, I've been off the rock for almost a year now) and was looking for info on where to find good V0-V3 rated boulders throughout Allamuchy North. I've seen some maps of boulders near the parking lot adjacent to the boyscout camp that provides access to the Highlands trail, and I've seen some good looking boulders scattered elsewhere throughout the park that look like they have been climbed recently. An area near Waving Willie looks really good too. Anyone have more insights or know of anyone that goes out bouldering in Allamuchy often? I'd love to get a tour.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Only climber i know on here is @JimN but i thought i've also heard the only LEGAL bouldering spot in NJ is Sourlands.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Only climber i know on here is @JimN but i thought i've also heard the only LEGAL bouldering spot in NJ is Sourlands.

Allamuchy is legal, but you are supposed to sign a waiver. There are a few small cliffs there that I've climbed on top rope, but bouldering is scary. I have a guidebook that I think has some info. I'll text the OP some pics from it.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Sorry was AWOL. There’s some bouldering and cliffs as well that require a top rope. The issue is getting to the boulders in the mooch usually requires a solid amount of hiking. Check out the Sourlands for a more developed area with a lot less hiking to get to the boulders.

The NJ climbing guidebook by Paul Nick and Neil Sloane is a good resource, but a little more geared toward top roping. (WARNING *Personal plug*) The Ken Lockwood Gorge area I wrote up in the book has been developed a little more since publishing if you want a great spot with some nice fun stuff to get the hands and feet going again, especially if you are going solo. Most of it is low and easily protected with a pad or two.

Top Bottom