Allaire, saturday 12/16 time still open

i rode through there a couple of times on tours. it's good to see that people actually can escape from there. i remember riding through the relatively poor(by appearance) town of Coal, PA. how depressing of a town name is that in a coal mining area? i mean, that's just gotta loom over the kids. i think i passed two abandoned sites in the town too.

don't get me wrong, respectable work and a necessary industry in todays world, but a town focused on one industry can be constricting.

Yup

anrothar said:
i rode through there a couple of times on tours. it's good to see that people actually can escape from there. i remember riding through the relatively poor(by appearance) town of Coal, PA. how depressing of a town name is that in a coal mining area? i mean, that's just gotta loom over the kids. i think i passed two abandoned sites in the town too.

don't get me wrong, respectable work and a necessary industry in todays world, but a town focused on one industry can be constricting.
Yeah, the coal industry out there has been dead for decades. My parents escaped to Central Jersey in 1960 in order for my father to find gainful employment, otherwise I guess I'd have been born in Wilkes Barre, Pa. The place, along with Scranton, its "sister city", is still really depressed.

Good football in that territory. Crappy living conditions build toughness and tenacity, I guess.

i think we're nearly all going to be on singlespeeds. the pace tends to be necessarilly a bit fast with ss because of the whole maintaining momentum, and just the amount of fun they are to hammer. i don't mind waiting up for people, but i also don't want it to be a situation where someone feels like they're holding the group back. chris, j, jake, brett(?), fred? what say ye? about the pace?

anrothar said:
i think we're nearly all going to be on singlespeeds. the pace tends to be necessarilly a bit fast with ss because of the whole maintaining momentum, and just the amount of fun they are to hammer. i don't mind waiting up for people, but i also don't want it to be a situation where someone feels like they're holding the group back. chris, j, jake, brett(?), fred? what say ye? about the pace?

It will be faster since I won't be there.

My wife just booked a snowboard trip to VT that day.

Bummer..

j

Yeah

I am going to Steamboat on the 22nd so I need to get some time on snow before I fly out west.

You guys will have fun w/o me. You will have the best guide possible.

j

Well...

anrothar said:
I'd like to go fairly steadily...I guess I'd say "intermediate +"? Most of the sections have pretty well-defined trailheads at which we can stop and regroup as needed. There aren't any "climbs" of significant length.

Planning on at least 2 hours of pedaling time, but it's really easy to bail if you want to go less.

You LOVE her,...

jdog said:
My wife just booked a snowboard trip to VT that day.

Bummer..

j

And you LOVE the fact that she booked a Great trip! Board or wheels, you know you are going to have a Great time. Enjoy,.... ( She's a smart woman.)

Sorry I so late

Oops...guess i havent been paying to much attention. I missed this thread.

I'm in for the ride. I rode with the guys down there last week and was a lil ways behind. But not by to much. So if thats not a problem, I will do all that i can to keep up. It was a blast down there last week.

I dont think i have picked up what time the train is leaving however. I work till 7am, and i figure i can get on the road from princeton around 7:15. I think i can get there around 8 or just a wee bit after.

No biggie if it doesnt work. Let me know! Id b super stoked to ride with you guys again!

Good things

Sounds good to me...I think the gf has some things to do so i wont have to worry bout "quality time" ;)

Looks pretty warm in VT so perhaps i will be there. If I am in NJ I will be at this ride.

Don't let these guys fool you. This will be a spirited ride.

Last time my HR never went below 170.

j

north jersey folk, i still have room for one, perhaps two more people in the trooper, assuming brett is coming. i only have a two bike rack, so your wheels would have to come off, but there is plenty of room.

How to get there

Just in case:
-Parkway to 195/138 East
-195/138 to Allenwood Rd; make a right onto Allenwood Rd. (State Police barracks on corner)
-Allenwood Rd to Rt. 34; continue across (you'll drive through a funky 5-way intersection) and follow to a stop sign
-Make a right at the stop sign; follow to Hospital Road, make a left
-Parking lot is about a mile or so on your right

Hoping to roll out around 8:30AM, I assume.

north jersey folk, i still have room for one, perhaps two more people in the trooper, assuming brett is coming. i only have a two bike rack, so your wheels would have to come off, but there is plenty of room.

i'm out on this. the wife informed me yesterday that she's going to her brother's new house to check it out. hopefully next time.

Back
Top Bottom