Allaire in the Rain on Sat. 5/18/07

Frac

Gonna get up real late tomorrow and go riding at Allaire in the afternoon for some fun in the rain.

Anyone feel like going? - i'll check this post before i go.
PM me with a cell or something.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So what bike are you looking at for your second bike purchase because:

A. Sand riding, then riding in the rain is not going to help that puppy last very long, and
B. Some of the ATUG and JORBA folks are going to crack the frame over your head when they catch you destroying the trails they work so hard to maintain.

I'm kidding of course. But the people that put many hours of TM into these trails aren't going to be happy with you for doing this kind of stuff.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think the trails are great down there now so far as I know. Rain supposed to hold out until 2:00 or so?

Frac

Hey Norm, I know there are some rules posted about ettiquett for group rides and stuff. What about general info for NOOBS.
Just want to minimiz the faux pas I make.

When does trail damage start to occure? - How damp is too wet to ride?

Also why the hell does the JORBA trail maintenence start at 8am on Sunday? I don't even get up for free bloody mary's that early on a Sunday.

walter

Fourth Party
Hey Frac, as you get a little more acclimated to the area, you will learn which parks do and do not drain well after a good rain. I will say, that as long as it is not a torrential downpour, Allaire is safe to ride, as long as you avoid the river trail, and the other few spots of the park that dont drain so well.

As for the TM starting so early, my guess would be to accommodate the ones with other family obligations, beating the hotter temps later in the day, giving enough time to do the required work with enough time to ride after the TM.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey Norm, I know there are some rules posted about ettiquett for group rides and stuff. What about general info for NOOBS.
Just want to minimiz the faux pas I make.

When does trail damage start to occure? - How damp is too wet to ride?

Also why the hell does the JORBA trail maintenence start at 8am on Sunday? I don't even get up for free bloody mary's that early on a Sunday.

Hey man just fire up the questions. Since you didn't get offended at my 'break frame over head' comment you'll be fine just asking away and going from there. Learn as you go, nothing wrong with that.

Not sure how to answer when trail damage occurs, or when it's too wet to ride. Personally I've just gotten sick of cleaning my bike so if it's wet, I avoid the wet parks or ride the road. Like Walter says, Allaire drains well. Also, a lot of the guys who post here ride at Allaire so you'll get a good feel for when it's too wet to ride soon enough. At this time of year, we're almost golden from here on out.

Frank

Sasquatch
A. Sand riding, then riding in the rain is not going to help that puppy last very long, and

If it is a light rain and there are no puddles, or "rivers' flowing, it can be fun to ride in the rain. Just try to avoid damaging the trail.

B. Some of the ATUG and JORBA folks are going to crack the frame over your head when they catch you destroying the trails they work so hard to maintain.

I've never cracked anyone with a frame.....a MacLeod, Polaski, or a Pickaxe ...maybe:rofl:

and Walter hit the nail on the head about the 8am start time. It's a lot easier to deal with the temps that time of day. And then you still have time for a noon post-TM ride.:D

Frac, don't sweat the noob stuff. It's better to ask than get a Polaski thrown at you...JK. Seriously though, come to some more of our group rides and talk to the folks there, we'll bring you up to speed.

Top Bottom