All womens race?

maddawg

we at the Darkhorse have been kicking around some ideas as the winter months bear down on us and one of these is the possibility of a womens only race.
this would not be a series race or in conjunction with any other race but a true stand alone event for women only. stewart would be the venue and we would set a course of approximately 6-8 miles. we would try to do some little special stuff for all entrants and prize up all the top finishes very generously.
i would like to get some feedback from the ladies here. would you be inclined to attend a womens only race? would it be a draw for beginners? is there anything that you would want to see at this event?

please feel free to respond with positives and negatives. we are looking for feedback and if it looks like it would be a viable event we will make it happen.
maybe end of august?

thanks!

Mare

That would be cool to get there and race with other women, but I would not drive that far (it would take me a while to get there) for a course that short (hinting to make it longer) :)

maddawg

sorry, it would be a 6-8 mile lap.

beginners 1 lap?
sport 2 laps?
expert pro 3 laps?

these are all variable. if the consensus is longer is better well we can make it longer.

N

Neen

ah, that makes a little more sense. I would most likely do an all women's race. Of course I've never ridden Stewart so I'll be blissfully unaware of what I am in for.

Mare

Ah...that is better. When you said a 6-8 mile course, I thought you meant 6-8 miles was it! Doing a few laps of that is a different story and worth the trip.

rocknrollgirl

I do not really have any strong feeling one way or the other. I do not mind racing at the same races with guys, and an all girls day would be nice too. For me the decision is made by the date. How it falls with the rest of the season.

S

Shar0se

I think it would be fun! Speaking from a beginner standpoint...... 6-8 miles is great and Stewart is a good place to have the race since it is not as technical some other venues. I would go!!

As for other events- I would love to see a clinic for changing a tire- maybe during the sport or expert race. I don't feel that many newbie females know much about bike maintenance. Just a thought. :)

Mare

As for other events- I would love to see a clinic for changing a tire- maybe during the sport or expert race. I don't feel that many newbie females know much about bike maintenance. Just a thought. :)

Just a suggestion (and no, I am not trying to be a wise ass) so you don't have to wait until race season to learn: how about going to your bike store and ask them to show you. Or even on your next ride with someone...just ask. Bike people are usually willing to help out!

Eileen

I would definitely try to work this into my schedule. Stewart is an awesome place to ride, I always have fun there. It's another opportunity to meet people and race so that's cool with me :D

chxracer

womens race

That would be amazing! Stewart is my favorite! I will be there. Ecspecially in August since theres nothing else going on in the series!

S

Shar0se

Just a suggestion (and no, I am not trying to be a wise ass) so you don't have to wait until race season to learn: how about going to your bike store and ask them to show you. Or even on your next ride with someone...just ask. Bike people are usually willing to help out!
Thanks!! I actually know how but thought it might be a good thing for women to learn. Hadn't thought through the "hands on" thing though- women would need to have there own stuff and be willing to use it.

NJ Jess

womens race

I love the idea of women having their own day to race too. However, most women aren't without obligations such as family, work, etc. It is very difficult for women to commit to a race,..."just for them."

Most of the Campmor H2H women racers are their with their boyfriends, husbands, and even their kids. The whole family is either racing or "watching the kids" while the other races a different category. I know of one female racer that intends to move up to Expert so she can race when her husband races.

It may help some beginners if the race came with a pre race technique
clinic prior to the race.

This womens race would need to be on a different day than the H2H, the Mid atlantic, the Root 66, and xterra (AR) series. Strange,...not enough female racers out there,....and pulling them from different series is difficult too.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm new to racing and plan to race next year, probably beginner since I have relatively no experience, but if the drive is far I would consider sport. I have to say an all female race is no more appealing or less appealing than a co-ed race. I've never been to Stewart (actually don't even no where it is), but if I have the weekend open, I'll be there!

rocknrollgirl

Yep Jess....that is what I was getting at too. It is more of a schedule thing...if it fits I would go, but it is actually easier to schedule if Chris and I can race the same day.

On the other hand....I do like Stewart, and it is worth the drive for those of you that have not raced there.

Mare

Maddawg suggested August, and isn't August a month when there's hardly any races going on? I know Allamuchy is in August, but other than that, it's a slow month.

xc62701

Maddawg suggested August, and isn't August a month when there's hardly any races going on? I know Allamuchy is in August, but other than that, it's a slow month.

It's a slow month if you don't like pain - and like to travel a bit.

2008-08-09 Leadville 100 CO
2008-08-09 24 Hours of Great Glenn NH
2008-08-15 Montezumas Revenge CO
2008-08-16 12 and 6 Hours of Pando MI
2008-08-16 Fools Gold 100 GA
2008-08-16 Rapture in Misery MO
2008-08-23 The E100 100 mile solo UT
2008-08-30 12 and 6 Hours of Drummond Island MI
2008-08-31 Shenandoah 100 VA
Darkhorse 40

Top Bottom