all-wheel-drive Fatbike

Kaleidopete

front-wheel-drive-bevel-gears.jpg
rear-wheel-drive-mechanism.jpg
Zach-with-the-bike.jpg

The link
http://www.kateleeming.com/worlds-first-awd-fatbike/

Nice bike, but I wonder why they chose Husker Dus for Antarctica? Maybe they'll be switched out for the actual trip.

video with more infos:

this is from '13 so she mightve not had a lot of options for tire and rim selection

Many moons ago the Christini folks brought a few of their all wheel drive bikes to the 24HR's of Allamuchy. My buddy and I actually rode a few laps of the race on them. It was an interesting concept that was well executed but pretty much useless. The company rep let us borrow them for a few days and we took them up to Ringwood SP where we proceeded to break both of them. One cracked at the head tube and the other one had a seat tube failure. Cool concept though probably a bit before their time. All wheel drive fat bike ? Maybe it's time has come.

Looks like a flexible drive shaft? I'm sure there are ones that are efficient (enough), but the cost, especially for a bike, must be huge. Also wouldn't be nuts about the idea of the rear wheel's braking being influenced by the front wheel, since they break away at different points.

I would be terrified of water ingress in that system, especially in sub-freezing temperatures.

Of course, this is all from the peanut gallery, but I can't imagine it brings enough to the table to make up for possible failure on an expedition.

I test rode one of the early (non-fat) Christini 2wd bikes at Jim Thorpe maybe a dozen years ago. Tried it out on some loose shale climbs. It worked, but for me the upsides were not worth the downsides (cost, weight, complexity). I'd like to try one of the 2wd fatty's in the snow though!

Back
Top Bottom