All Natural Nutrition

B

ByMySide

For anyone who cares to read and respond, the feedback shall be appreciated.

The following is a survey aimed at analyzing athletes’ concerns with what goes into their bodies, specifically in terms of artificial ingredient and additive consumption via nutritional sports supplements (ie: Endurox, Cytomax, Accelerade, Clif, and so on).

On a whole, as active individuals, we consume a variety of performance supplements on an almost daily basis. If the average serving size for a post-recovery drink is two scoops, roughly 70 grams, a year's consumption is just over 50 pounds; which still does not include pre-ride, endurance, and gel supplements. For the most part, sports supplements are a source of nutrition and thus health and positive results, but what about the brands that do not offer entirely natural ingredients?

In the food industry in general, companies have a tendency to include artificial additives—such as colorings, flavorings, and sweeteners—in their ingredients. How often do you read ingredient labels before consumption or even before purchase of a product? In most sports supplement brands the artificial additive story is the same. The question is, if we are care enough to maintain active and healthy outdoor lifestyles, should we not also care about what goes into the same bodies we are trying to make healthier?

In order to obtain an accurate reading on your views, concerns, and ideas concerning artificial additives in sports supplements, please respond honestly to the following survey. Thank you in advance for your time.

1. What sports supplements do you use—including gels and powder mixes—for racing and/or everyday riding?

2. Do you research in order to find supplements with all natural ingredients?

3. Is the consumption of artificial flavorings, colorings, or sweeteners something of concern when choosing sports nutrition and supplements?

4. Would you opt for all natural ingredients if the benefits in performance remained equal to those found when using supplements with artificial additives?

5. How much of your decision in choosing sports supplements is dependent upon price?

6. It takes time to research which products do and do not contain artificial additives; and so, if an online store were to provide a varied selection of exclusively all natural sports supplements and products, would you be interested?

-Thank You!:D

Nimrod

For anyone who cares to read and respond, the feedback shall be appreciated.

The following is a survey aimed at analyzing athletes’ concerns with what goes into their bodies, specifically in terms of artificial ingredient and additive consumption via nutritional sports supplements (ie: Endurox, Cytomax, Accelerade, Clif, and so on).

On a whole, as active individuals, we consume a variety of performance supplements on an almost daily basis. If the average serving size for a post-recovery drink is two scoops, roughly 70 grams, a year's consumption is just over 50 pounds; which still does not include pre-ride, endurance, and gel supplements. For the most part, sports supplements are a source of nutrition and thus health and positive results, but what about the brands that do not offer entirely natural ingredients?

In the food industry in general, companies have a tendency to include artificial additives—such as colorings, flavorings, and sweeteners—in their ingredients. How often do you read ingredient labels before consumption or even before purchase of a product? In most sports supplement brands the artificial additive story is the same. The question is, if we are care enough to maintain active and healthy outdoor lifestyles, should we not also care about what goes into the same bodies we are trying to make healthier?

In order to obtain an accurate reading on your views, concerns, and ideas concerning artificial additives in sports supplements, please respond honestly to the following survey. Thank you in advance for your time.

1. What sports supplements do you use—including gels and powder mixes—for racing and/or everyday riding?

3. Is the consumption of artificial flavorings, colorings, or sweeteners something of concern when choosing sports nutrition and supplements?

4. Would you opt for all natural ingredients if the benefits in performance remained equal to those found when using supplements with artificial additives?

5. How much of your decision in choosing sports supplements is dependent upon price?

6. It takes time to research which products do and do not contain artificial additives; and so, if an online store were to provide a varied selection of exclusively all natural sports supplements and products, would you be interested?

1) Gels and powders: Hammer Gel, Hammer Heed for rides under 2 hrs, Perpetuim(sp) over 2 hrs.

Supplements: Hammer Premium Insurance Caps, Race Caps, and Mito Caps

2) Yes

3) Yes

4) of course

5) 50%

6) Yes

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
1. What sports supplements do you use?
For all day high paced endurance... Hammer gels and homemade gel w/soy protein. For daily rides... EmergenC in water.

Yes

Absolutely.

4. Would you opt for all natural ingredients?
The only way I go.

5. How much of your decision in choosing sports supplements is dependent upon price? I care about price, but if high sugar, chemical laden gels are available for 10 cents each, I still wouldn't touch them.

Yes.

B

ByMySide

So far so good...

Thank you for those who have responded so far, only a few, yet greatly appreciated! The more the better, and thank you Shaggz for "okaying" my post (I assume you recall the email).
Gracias!;)

lou_b_83

1) Gels and Drink (E-Gel and E-Fuel) Both Race and Fun:D
2)Yes
3)Yes
4)Yes (if it tastes good)
5)None
6)Yes

ArmyOfNone

1. What sports supplements do you use—including gels and powder mixes—for racing and/or everyday riding? Accelerade, Endurox, AccelGel, Enervite gels/tabs

No
no
IDK
90%
yes

euphoria

1. homebrew gel, clif shot gel and powder, twinlab ultra fuel, animal pack

2. yes

3. yes

4. yes

5. minimal

6. yes

RyanW

1. Heed during, haven't picked a recovery drink YET
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Not much
6. Yes

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1. Accelerade, Endurox, Perpetuem, Heed, Carnation instant breakfast
2. IMO nothing that comes in powder form with a high GI is "all natural". So no.
3. Minimal at best.
4. I don't believe such a product exists, unless you go with Bob's orange & coffee solution. I checked out my Perp ingrediatents today and one was "Dreamsicle Flavor".
5. Little to none.
6. Probably not.

BiknBen

CytoMax powder w/ Water
GU gel
Cliff Bar

No

Only slightly.

Only if price remained near equal

50%

Not really

clutch

1. Gatorade, powder and bottled.
2. no
3. no
4. yes
5. 75%cost 25%taste
6. I might use it to find information on which supplements are natural, but I'd still shop around online for the best price.

Curious, is this a class project or a real business idea?

B

ByMySide

awesome

Thanks for the variety of responses so far, I had not idea people used this forum so much. And, for the curious one, this is neither a class project nor a future business venture, but perhaps it is a little bit of both and then a lot of neither. Thanks all.;)

walter

Fourth Party
Sssssoooooooooo.....

Thanks for the variety of responses so far, I had not idea people used this forum so much. And, for the curious one, this is neither a class project nor a future business venture, but perhaps it is a little bit of both and then a lot of neither. Thanks all.;)

How about filling us in on your take on the questions?

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
1. Gatorade, powder and bottled.
2. no
3. no
4. only if it cost the same as my 6 gallon bag-o Gatorade
5. about 80%
6. Not really

Thanks for the variety of responses so far, I had not idea people used this forum so much. And, for the curious one, this is neither a class project nor a future business venture, but perhaps it is a little bit of both and then a lot of neither. Thanks all.

I bet you are really kevin trudeau and you are going to sell us a book on nutrition...
glad that's out of my system :p

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

-Tropical Fruit Cytomax for rides and races (regardless of duration), Banana Hammer Gel on long rides over 3 hours (normally I don't use gel), Fruit smoothie PowerBars during a ride if I don't eat breakfast, Dedicated Athlete Recovery Drink, and Met-RX Colossal Super Cookie Crunch for after.

-Not really, I just use what works for me and tastes good.

-It probably should be, but considering how much Monster I drink, I think my Cytomax is healthy:D

-It wouldn't matter to me.

-None. Price isn't important.

-Don't they have those already? Like GNC.com?

-Jim.

N

Neen

1. Gatorade, Accelerade, Elyte Water, Sport Legs, Clif gu's and bars
2. yes.
3. yes
4.yes, absolutely.
5. probably 50/50 price/taste
6. yes

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep

Clif shots gel, occasionally GU gel (its got more fake crap in it but the tri-berry is soooooo good), clif bars, clif builder bars, HEED

Kinda, I can't stand the aftertaste of HFCS, so I try to avoid that in everything I eat. I'm a bit of an energy drink junkie, but that's the worst thing I consume. Almost everything else I eat or drink is natural.

Yes, but if it provides results and it has lots of fake crap in it, I would consider it. I will admit that the clif shot gels are kinda nasty tasting compared to GU brand.

Yes.

A small amount. Most products are pretty similar in price.

Yea sure.

-Thank You!:D[/QUOTE]

Kmoodymz3

What sports supplements do you use—including gels and powder mixes—for racing and/or everyday riding? InfinitNutrition - custom blended versions for long and short distance rides/races, InfinitRecovery by InfinitNutrition.

Yes must be all natural
Not for me, I don't consume them so I don't worry but I am very concerned about the stuff that is being given to kids with the label of "sports drinks"

Only way to go.

If it is fairly priced for the quality and performance I'll pay. If it is overly priced just because it has an "all natural" label I won't buy. There is plenty to choose from so price needs to be competitive.

I like what I'm using and it would have to offer something different or something I can't get now, for me to change.

Top Bottom