alaska photos

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
What a trip!

I grew up in the woods on a dirt road. I always thought life was too slow and boring. Now I am am wishing for that lifestyle again. I guess my parents were right.

I am sure that the young kids in AK are the same way.

Thanks for sharing.

j-

N

NJCorky

Wow!

That is amazing! Makes me wonder why I'm sitting at a desk in an office in a refinery in NJ! :hmmm:

Maurice

Awesome Sean, this is incredibly inspiring. Aren't the days still a little on the short side? Have you done any night riding (assuming temps. don't drop too low, but then nothing is surprising anymore)?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just looked at these again at work. This is cool stuff man. Really good stuff. So much I'm moved to bring back tha haiku for you.

These shots, they make me
Almost want to ride in that
But then it looks cold.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
great shots sean... you've just made another amazing lifelong memory. congratulations!

these pictures bring back great memories of my visits to AK. its truly one of the worlds greatest places. denali national park still rates as my #1 favorite place to visit. sea kayaking glacier bay is up there too (also in AK).

i need to get back up there.

i almost have my wife convinced to relocate there :)

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I grew up in the woods on a dirt road. I always thought life was too slow and boring. Now I am am wishing for that lifestyle again. I guess my parents were right.

+1 on that. I couldn't wait to get out of boring ol' Bend Oregon when I was a kid; now I yearn to go back. Granted, it ain't the same place it was then (it is better), but the lifestyle is certainly more laid back/outdoorsy/slower than here..

anrothar

entirely thrilled
What a trip!

I am sure that the young kids in AK are the same way.

Thanks for sharing.

j-

i think it depends alot on activity level of the kids as well. i've heard many alaskan teens saying that there's nothing to do, and even one who claimed the state was flat(???). those that actually get outdoors realize what they have and stay. the weak flee. :getsome:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
That is amazing! Makes me wonder why I'm sitting at a desk in an office in a refinery in NJ! :hmmm:

got vacation time? last two weeks of february are a great time to take a vacation to alaska with family. airfare is relatively cheap(if booked well in advance, $500 per person or less, round trip.), and there is a ton of stuff going on in the anchorage area. the fur rondy festival is in full swing, with all sorts of ice carving contests, dog sled rides for the whole family, dog sled races... the iditarod invitational bike/ski/foot event starts about an hour north of anchorage, with numerous opportunities to chat and ride with the racers the week before. the iditarod dog sled race starts a week after the human powered version with a ceremonial start in anchorage, then the true start in the same place the bikes go off. the weather is generally great for riding the trails, with plenty of snowmachine traffic to pack them down, and there are alot of all-weather riders in the area. alot. you can also rent snowbikes up there. http://arcticcycles.com/ . billy has a whole fleet of them, ranging from pugsleys with 45 mm rims to full on titanium setups with 80mm rims.

the winters in anchorage are also generally mild, contrary to popular belief. it was in the mid twenties to mid thirties the entire time i was there.

nothing stopping you....

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Awesome Sean, this is incredibly inspiring. Aren't the days still a little on the short side? Have you done any night riding (assuming temps. don't drop too low, but then nothing is surprising anymore)?

february in anchorage sees 10 hrs of daylight. december is the really short daylight time there, with as little as 2-3 hrs of daylight on the solstice. i got a few night rides in, including the last few hours of the race. a simple, AA powered led headlamp is all you need. lights up the snow like it was daytime. i really don't think there is such a thing as temps too low, unless one is up north of fairbanks above the arctic circle. i think it would have to be below -50 for it to be too low. most people reach the point where they don't actually notice it getting colder in the single digits +/-. it's just a matter of dressing intelligently.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
great shots sean... you've just made another amazing lifelong memory. congratulations!

these pictures bring back great memories of my visits to AK. its truly one of the worlds greatest places. denali national park still rates as my #1 favorite place to visit. sea kayaking glacier bay is up there too (also in AK).

i need to get back up there.

i almost have my wife convinced to relocate there :)

have you taken her there on vacation? apparently that's been enough to convince several reluctant wives of several of the transplants from the lower 48 i met while up there.

RonzNd4Spd

Just Fu$%#&g Awesome!!!!!

Just awesome!!!!.....just awesome!!!!!!!!!

Thank You for sharing, and thank you for carring to share!

Nothing can describe it ...it's JUST FUC#$%G AWESOME!!!!!!!

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, what great pics! I spent my childhood in Anchorage and try to go back every four years. I have never ridden up there though and boy do I want to now. AK truely is one of the most beautiful places to visit. It is so pure, and it always reminds me of how BIG the world is (or how small we are). All the daylight is awesome...but sitting in school with it pitch dark outside is strange (but then I really knew no different). What a great trip!!

Top Bottom