Again, with the Trek Y11 questions? (I know, sell/burn/toss the thing🤣)

kjarrett

Why not this, tho? Returnable...and $100 on Amazon.

DNM Damping 3 System Mountain Bike Air Rear Shock Rebound/Lock Out/Air Pressure Adjustable AL 7005 Shark/AL 6061 Shock Body 165mm (6.5") x 35mm 190mm (7.48") x 50mm 200mm (7.87") x 55mm
81Q7OdbF6aL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

sundaydoug

If your shock firms up like that even with all the air removed from the can then the issue might be related to that lockout mechanism. Something might be wrong with the adjuster causing the shock to sort of toggle back and forth between lock and no-lock, allowing your shock to sometimes compress and other times not compress.

In any case, if you're going to replace the shock I'd take that $100 and put it towards a shock of some universally accepted quality. It would be a much better use of funds. That no-name shock from Amazon might look like a Fox product, but it's probably a pogo stick with an air chamber.

kjarrett

If you want to try the Fox that I have it's yours for free.
That is a fantastic offer. I really appreciate it! I don't think I will need it though, because I just pulled the trigger on this guy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124947773463

Got it for $138 shipped, more than I wanted to invest, but I think this will give me a good chance to see what the bike is capable of.

If I don't like the end result, I'll sell the Fox, put the broken Stratashock back on and sell the frame for wall art, lol

But seriously, THANKS. Very kind of you!

-kj-

serviceguy

That is a fantastic offer. I really appreciate it! I don't think I will need it though, because I just pulled the trigger on this guy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124947773463

Got it for $138 shipped, more than I wanted to invest, but I think this will give me a good chance to see what the bike is capable of.

If I don't like the end result, I'll sell the Fox, put the broken Stratashock back on and sell the frame for wall art, lol

But seriously, THANKS. Very kind of you!

-kj-
This thread reminded me of my previous 'big bike'...similar shock with remote lever.
Bumpy Monkey reboot 2.jpg

kjarrett

Wish I could’ve found one like that, it would have been ideal. I’m hoping that I won’t miss the lockout lever and that ProPedal works as well as people have said. I don’t expect it to be perfect, but I would like it to at least be enjoyable on the trails I ride…

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
My second MTB after a long hiatus (~15 years) was a Gary Fisher Joshua Y that I bought off Craigslist. Kind of like this:
Joshua2.jpg

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Awesome! And what did you think of this bike? How did it ride?
Sad to say that was about 15 years ago. Compared to my early 90s Trek 950 rigid on both ends, it was great. Compared to modern bikes it was an un-ridable pogo stick. Nostalgia is great for fun, but for real riding, no contest.

kjarrett

Sad to say that was about 15 years ago. Compared to my early 90s Trek 950 rigid on both ends, it was great. Compared to modern bikes it was an un-ridable pogo stick. Nostalgia is great for fun, but for real riding, no contest.
That's fair.

kjarrett

Ok, the Fox shock I got on evilbay is here. Bottom bushing is a perfect fit. Top is too large. How do I remove it and what do I replace it with? The flange (?) itself appears to be the right size once I have the proper bushing. Thanks!

Attachments

• 279AFEFE-7661-4D94-9EFB-512C7E14F478.jpeg
    279AFEFE-7661-4D94-9EFB-512C7E14F478.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 34
  • 19362927-EF82-40BA-B5B2-C9EBD9104885.jpeg
    19362927-EF82-40BA-B5B2-C9EBD9104885.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 37
  • 6986C9D7-AB06-4AC6-9683-672D1570F436.jpeg
    6986C9D7-AB06-4AC6-9683-672D1570F436.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 39

Karate Monkey

They may be identical fits (may).

They should pull out fairly easily, but if they don't/you want to be able to reuse them, use a couple of utility blades to wedge under/start pulling them out of the bushing. Removing them with no damage if they are stuck can be problematic. If you have a sharp punch that fits into the reducing hardware, you can punch them out from the inside.

Provided the bushing isn't damaged (grooved), and is the same inner diameter, you can use the same eyelet hardware.

Last edited:

kjarrett

They may be identical fits (may).

They should pull out fairly easily, but if they don't/you want to be able to reuse them, use a couple of utility blades to wedge under/start pulling them out of the bushing. Removing them with no damage if they are stuck can be problematic. If you have a sharp punch that fits into the reducing hardware, you can punch them out from the inside.

Provided the bushing isn't damaged (grooved), and is the same inner diameter, you can use the same eyelet hardware.
Thanks, another person suggested the same. I am concerned about scratching the shock, for when I will eventually have to resell it. They appear to be in there fairly tightly. I will try again. They will not be reused.

I also found this:

I don't have a screw extractor but can get one tomorrow.

Was also thinking I might put them in my bench vise with just enough tightness to grip them but don't want deform them because then I'm really SOL.

kjarrett

Got the eyelets out with Vise Grips. Easy. They appear to be 12.7mm O.D. but they are too long, 11mm each (total 22).

What I think I need is either a single 12.7 x 16mm single or two 12.7 x 8mm eyelets as the mount is 16.1mm wide.

Trying to find those now...

Top Bottom