after rain?

jacksontrek

Has anyone been out to Mercer this week? Was going to make a trip on Sat., but not sure how the conditions are. Thanks

kush

if you're following the map, on the east lot side - blue is wet and slippery

the red, orange and yellow are good

when you say "make the trip", hopefully not a long one.

there are lots of good places in the area that are funner. Clayton, Baldpate, Six Mile just to name a few.

jacksontrek

Thanks, been riding Clayton at least once a week, was just looking to change it up and have never been to Mercer. Its only like a 25 min ride.

kush

Thanks, been riding Clayton at least once a week, was just looking to change it up and have never been to Mercer. Its only like a 25 min ride.

i'm just jaded, its 10 mins from my house by bike, and I do it a couple times a week :). Mercer is what you make of it. the routes that run from the boat house to the dam are pretty fun. for example, there is a trail that has a ridiculously tight section that puts you through the trees where you pretty much can't make through without touching down (or at least you can try as a goal) or generally lots of log piles, some twisties, a decent variety all in all.

The blue trail off the east lot is rooty and muddy. has one cool jump. and a territorial beaver.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
I think I have done maybe 3 or 4 TM sessions (since '91) @ Clayton. It does have some charm, that seems to grow the closer you live to the park. I have gone to ride there a bunch of times just to switch things up, and I really dig it on a single speed. It seems most people think it is only worth it if you live close by,or go with a bunch of D-Bags to ride something different. A lot of people use that park to get a ride in, hikers, bikers, and horses alike.

kush

" Territorial beaver"? Close cousin to the Kamikazie ground hog?

I'm sure they are related. This what his relative looks like? He likes to headbutt unsuspecting cyclists, though this is where 29" wheels fend off the advances very efficiently. I call him Theodore.

Attachments

• 1-1718105-1173-t.jpg
    1-1718105-1173-t.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 236

kush

Clayton SUCKS

Considering jacksontrek is getting back into it accdg to welcome post, its an ideal place. fast, smooth, fun, safe.

but even if it weren't i like the flow and speed. it has one jump although unfortunately no suicidal wildlife i've run into.

but to each his own.

walter

Fourth Party
Considering jacksontrek is getting back into it accdg to welcome post, its an ideal place. fast, smooth, fun, safe.

but even if it weren't i like the flow and speed. it has one jump although unfortunately no suicidal wildlife i've run into.

but to each his own.

I love that jump

The Kalmyk

Trails on water fall lines and fire road after fire road...I'll pass...Point taken but Allaire is just as close to Jackson...The trails there are fast, smooth, fun and safe as well...After all it is the home turf of JORBA'S V.P.:D

jacksontrek

I like Clayton and its ten minutes from my house. Also want to try to get to one of the beginner rides at Allaire, but I'm at work to late for the next few weeks.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Mort just texed (sp?) me about riding tomrrow, and I found out at 8am that I have off tomorrow. Anyone else?

Last edited:

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
Brian..That place is in dire need of some trail maintenance...Even then is it worth it:confused:

It's funny you say that. Mercer and clayton are my home trails and I can say without hesitation that mercer needs more trail maintenance than any trail I've ridden in the last year. I live 5 miles from mercer and I only ride there once every month or so.

I actually like clayton alot. It's like a little racetrack with nothing to slow you down other than other trail users. It's a great place to go for some lightning fast loops and a good workout. There are some sandy areas that suck, but I don't really see anything seriously wrong with the trails. The main thing clayton has going against it is it's size. It does get boring doing more than 10 miles there, unless you have someone to ride with who is willing to push with you the whole time.

jacksontrek

Had a nice ride in Mercer last week until I rode into a tree and broke my hand. We were in the tight section out by the dam and was trying to avoid a large tree and ended up hitting a small tree with my right hand. Lots of fun though!!!

dirty bert

Banned
mercer

Had a nice ride in Mercer last week until I rode into a tree and broke my hand. We were in the tight section out by the dam and was trying to avoid a large tree and ended up hitting a small tree with my right hand. Lots of fun though!!!

i rode mercer yesterday and the trails were good despite all the rain we had. There are sections that you need to stay away from, like the area near the lower tennis courts and part of the red trail on the east end of the parking lot.

Yea, mercer can be easy but not to easy if you ride the trails fast. Them twists will get you, i fractured my finger ther. my pedal caught a hidden log and threw me over the bars, my pinkie, on my right hand was bent way right. I always stuck my shoulder out to far on a tight turn, smashing it into a tree.

to me clayton is like mercer but with hills to climb. mercer is my home trails.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions