Advice Wanted - Kid's MTB to Buy

AndrewGelman

Hi. I have a 12 year old who is 4'10" and should move up to a small sized 26" bike from the cheap-o 24" Raleigh I got him a few years ago online. He's a strong but smaller rider who loves the jumps, etc. I would really appreciate suggestions of what reasonably priced bikes (new or used) we should be looking at for him. I'd love to get something in the under $1K range but something that he can use for the next 2-3 years as he continues to grow. Happy to get suggestions for new, used or that bike you have that you or your kid grew out of.

If this is the wrong place or this is a common post found elsewhere, sorry but let me know! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ilnadi

New NICA season is starting so many people will be (trying to) move to a bigger bike. Keep an eye here and on the FB group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/550559081986458).

Assuming 12 means at least 6th grade, if you join a NICA team you'll get 20-30% discounts depending on brand. And good luck finding a bike, I am trying to buy one now and nobody can get me anything before January.

For small size, we built my son a franken-bike with parts I got here and he rode that until he was ready for a medium. Keep in mind most brands are now building small bikes with 27.5" wheels (e.g. Trek Roscoe)

AndrewGelman

Cool. We are part of Essex Offroad (NICA) -- discounts are at the LBS level or company? Yes, he's in 7th grade, but on the smaller side of that odd group.
I like the Roscoe in concept, but I wonder if that's a good bike for him as he gets more advanced?

jerseyjeffr

I have an 8 year old that has no trouble chasing after his 18 year old brother and he just mangled the rear end of his 24 inch REI coop ride so badly that we may have to replace it. When I saw him carrying his bike down towards us I knew we were in trouble. I am currently looking a Marin San Quentin or Diamond back Syncr when they are back in stock... might get him another REI 24 inch if that is the only bike available. It is really slim pickings for tougher bikes for the little kids. I am also going to start looking at XS bikes too. I was really hoping to get a bit more time out of this bike, and even ordered an alignment gauge.
Based on what I see, he mangled the rear mech so badly that the pulleys no longer turn, and it is both bent and twisted, the hanger is bent in a bunch of planes, he bent the QR axle, shattered the outer chain guide, and I think the crank could be bent too.

jerseyjeffr

I was staring at the rockhopper, and wondering if it would be beefy enough for my little monster. The kid is killing parts. and my wallet....

jerseyjeffr

I am not sure if the rockhopper would be beefy enough for my little monster. I am also wondering if it can be 1x, I can barely get the kid to shift his back, he just stands up and stomps. I was pining for a syncr 24, but not sure if they can be had.

cfrone1

Shop: Pops Bike Shop
Shop Keep
I have an 8 year old that has no trouble chasing after his 18 year old brother and he just mangled the rear end of his 24 inch REI coop ride so badly that we may have to replace it. When I saw him carrying his bike down towards us I knew we were in trouble. I am currently looking a Marin San Quentin or Diamond back Syncr when they are back in stock... might get him another REI 24 inch if that is the only bike available. It is really slim pickings for tougher bikes for the little kids. I am also going to start looking at XS bikes too. I was really hoping to get a bit more time out of this bike, and even ordered an alignment gauge.
Based on what I see, he mangled the rear mech so badly that the pulleys no longer turn, and it is both bent and twisted, the hanger is bent in a bunch of planes, he bent the QR axle, shattered the outer chain guide, and I think the crank could be bent too.

If you wanted to stay with a 24", I still have 1 Salsa Timberjack SUS 24" in red...It is on the bigger side of most 24" bikes because of the 3.0" tires, but it is a super cool bike.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you wanted to stay with a 24", I still have 1 Salsa Timberjack SUS 24" in red...It is on the bigger side of most 24" bikes because of the 3.0" tires, but it is a super cool bike.

wonder if you could slap some 26" wheels on there, clearance wise...

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure the best way to say this, but that sounds like 100% user error. Like throwing it off a cliff type user error. That doesn't just happen, especially at 8yr old wattage.... Spending more on a new bike sounds like it will just cost more to repair the next one.... Of course, I could be wrong...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Not sure the best way to say this, but that sounds like 100% user error. Like throwing it off a cliff type user error. That doesn't just happen, especially at 8yr old wattage.... Spending more on a new bike sounds like it will just cost more to repair the next one.... Of course, I could be wrong...

der went into the spokes at a decent speed. cages are replaceable, but not worth doing.

i'm not so sure about the crank - that usually means it was run over by a car.

1TrackMind

We have 2 XS Rockhoppers in stock.
Any rip rock 24’s in gender neutral colors?, I have a 4’4” 7 yr old daughter, I think the rockhopper Xs will be to big, and I want to be able to hand down to her 5 year old brother soon. Also interested in anything for the 5 yr old (3’9”) he Actually turns 5 in November so I would like to get him a new bike for bd, he loves the high bridge lump track but is in desperate need of a new rig.

jerseyjeffr

My kid is a beast, he is chasing his 18 year old brother off of significant drops and doubles at speed. Sometimes I have to look away. He says he was stomping hard up a hill and down shifted, wheel stopped, and then he stopped. I am wondering if he bent the hanger earlier in the day and then he somehow stuffed the deraileur into the spokes. The H and L set screws are completely jacked too, as well as the QR skewer being bent and the hanger tweaked too. He charges things hard, and when he crashes it can be pretty epic.
The kid does good work. This is after I tried to pry it back.
The good news is it is a 6/7 tourney and not an electric xtr...

Currently the diagnosis is: Bent hanger, trashed rear derailuer, bent QR skewer, bent chain ring... the BB and cranks look good. Getting an estimate.

Attachments

• 20200922_161917_resized.jpg
    20200922_161917_resized.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200922_162002_resized.jpg
    20200922_162002_resized.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 73

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Any rip rock 24’s in gender neutral colors?, I have a 4’4” 7 yr old daughter, I think the rockhopper Xs will be to big, and I want to be able to hand down to her 5 year old brother soon. Also interested in anything for the 5 yr old (3’9”) he Actually turns 5 in November so I would like to get him a new bike for bd, he loves the high bridge lump track but is in desperate need of a new rig.

Maybe on our website, not in the store. Those sell out from our warehouse before they ever make it to the floor. We had a meeting with Specialized today and I saw a big order come in while I was at our warehouse so we should see bikes soon.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My kid is a beast, he is chasing his 18 year old brother off of significant drops and doubles at speed. Sometimes I have to look away. He says he was stomping hard up a hill and down shifted, wheel stopped, and then he stopped. I am wondering if he bent the hanger earlier in the day and then he somehow stuffed the deraileur into the spokes. The H and L set screws are completely jacked too, as well as the QR skewer being bent and the hanger tweaked too. He charges things hard, and when he crashes it can be pretty epic.
The kid does good work. This is after I tried to pry it back.
The good news is it is a 6/7 tourney and not an electric xtr...

Currently the diagnosis is: Bent hanger, trashed rear derailuer, bent QR skewer, bent chain ring... the BB and cranks look good. Getting an estimate.
#BeastMode

Top Bottom