advice on getting a garmin

Cha1985

I'm tired of riding with my camelback and i use my phone to track my rides, i want to get a garmin, not really worried about the price, i was looking at the 810, or the edge 1000, what do people think?

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Road or trail riding?

MTB: 500
Road: If you'll use the mapping function, then consider the 800/1000

Cha1985

both trail and road riding, i was leaning towards the 810 more, but just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you want to follow maps an 800 or 810 is better.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A map is a piece of paper with squiggly lines on it that tell you where you things are or where you want to go. But that's not important right now.

Roger, Roger.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bah!

Follow turn-by-turn directions on the road. Just like a the GPS in a car.

Schilling

Team MTBNJ Halter's
what is follow maps?

A map is a piece of paper with squiggly lines on it that tell you where you things are or where you want to go. But that's not important right now.

Roger, Roger.

surely you can't be serious :D

but if you are these maps are either a gpx/tcx file of another riders route that you can download and follow on your device. this is a nice and easy way to explore a park that's new to you, or a road loop.

or

you can check out gtluke's park maps
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25620

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm sorry if this is stupid, aren't there apps that do this?

OP wants to get away from using phone for tracking -

the big Qs come down to what do you want to see on the display - if it is directions, then 800 or 1000 series - if not 500 series will do...

i use my phone and it is in my pack or pocket - so never sure of cadence or speed, etc.....would be nice to have it - i have a hammerhead on order, so that will work for directions...

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
OP wants to get away from using phone for tracking -

the big Qs come down to what do you want to see on the display - if it is directions, then 800 or 1000 series - if not 500 series will do...

i use my phone and it is in my pack or pocket - so never sure of cadence or speed, etc.....would be nice to have it - i have a hammerhead on order, so that will work for directions...

I missed that part I need to do some more reading

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I also use Garmin 510 for MTB and Road.The 510 will give directions by way of arrows on the display.I only used directions on road never in the woods.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm sorry if this is stupid, aren't there apps that do this?

There are. But I don't know too many folks that want to ride around with a smart phone mounted to their handlebars. Not only are you draining your phone battery, but it's exposed to the elements and they are just kind of big and awkward. Cycling-specific Garmins are the way to go IMO.

That being said, if you don't plan on using maps, the 510 is a solid computer. You can still upload courses to follow to the 510 however. I use an 800 currently, but I think my next one will be a 510. I know pretty much every road in Hunterdon county so I rarely find a situation where i need a map. I also like the size of the 510.

Last edited:

Optiwizard

I use the 500 but would upgrade to 510 if needed. Don't need the extra size on the bars and if I get lost I have my phone in my back pocket for a map.

eobie

I have the 1000. Single best feature is Bluetooth uploading to Garmin connect and Strava. I never have to plug the thing into the computer. Maps are cool when going to a place like Ringwood. Battery life isn't quite as good as others though. I would def buy it again.

goodvibe

+1 on the Edge 1000. The maps are awesome and when I leave to ride, I usually am not sure where I want to go and having maps helps me from getting lost. The trail maps are good too. The other cool thing is that it takes pre-loaded segments and you can race yourself like a ghetto Strava to help you get up the climbs faster.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I have the 1000. Single best feature is Bluetooth uploading to Garmin connect and Strava. I never have to plug the thing into the computer. Maps are cool when going to a place like Ringwood. Battery life isn't quite as good as others though. I would def buy it again.

I have the 510 and it does the same thing with Bluetooth.

OP, if you are looking at the 500 series, go with the 510 over the 500. The GPS signal is supposed to be better and in my experience it is. I'm not sure what the 800 or even 1000 series offers over and above the 500 series so I can't say if they're worth the extra cost, but I'm really happy with my 510. One thing I would recommend either way -- get the little silicone device cover if you ride off-road a lot with it. The dirt and grit that can get into the back will shorten its lifespan otherwise.

The Kalmyk

Just wondering. What if I went with an etrex 20? What would lose vs. a cycling specific gps? Can I still use Garmin Connect?

Top Bottom