Advice on a new Bottom Bracket

Mathers

I currently have a stock Raceface PF30 and its creaking and annoying the piss out of me. It had been serviced at HB over the summer but the creaks are back. It has about 1k miles on it.

What are some things I should be looking for in the BB market? Should I repalce the cranks as well?

Just looking for some guidance on something that can take a good beating on your average NJ trails.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Replace bike with threaded BB shell
/thread
Ok... I know that was a smart ass answer which you prolly did not appreciate. So....

I have the SRAM DUB PF BB on the RDO which prolly requires a SRAM crank. It creaked like shit initially (user error) but once greased properly... no creaks since. But.... it only has 140 miles on it. Sorry... got nothing useful.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I currently have a stock Raceface PF30 and its creaking and annoying the piss out of me. It had been serviced at HB over the summer but the creaks are back. It has about 1k miles on it.

What are some things I should be looking for in the BB market? Should I repalce the cranks as well?

Just looking for some guidance on something that can take a good beating on your average NJ trails.

Some bikes are cursed. But I have always had good luck with the regular cheapo sram PF bb. It lasts about as long as it should for being so cheap.
I have a Chris King BB on my race bike. I've had great luck with it and you can service the bearings. But you need the grease injector so it's even more expensive than just the BB.

I had a RAce face once which came with some cranks I bought. It was total shit

Mathers

Replace bike with threaded BB shell
/thread
Ok... I know that was a smart ass answer which you prolly did not appreciate. So....

I have the SRAM DUB PF BB on the RDO which prolly requires a SRAM crank. It creaked like shit initially (user error) but once greased properly... no creaks since. But.... it only has 140 miles on it. Sorry... got nothing useful.
Is DuB the higher end SRAM model? I was expecting some wise comments. ?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
My bike came with a Raceface BB and cranks. It's a BB92, not PF 30 but it was also total shit. I kept the cranks but replaced BB with a Hope BB. It turns out the Hope BB is just a rebranded Enduro BB. The new bearings have been fantastic for over a year now.

Mathers

Are the new BB that thread together any better like the wheels BB’s. Seems like it would be easier than needing a BB tool

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Is DuB the higher end SRAM model? I was expecting some wise comments. ?

Nah it's the need for speed night club edition
220px-Midnight_Club_3_-_DUB_Edition_Coverart.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Praxxis and Wheels manufacturing are hard to beat, wheels are cheaper. Spend a few extra bucks and get the angular contact bearings, they are smooth AF.
My praxxis lasted many winters on my bike I rode in all the shit.

I had really bad luck with Chris king and killed one in one winter. They did replace it, but....

Mathers

Praxxis and Wheels manufacturing are hard to beat, wheels are cheaper. Spend a few extra bucks and get the angular contact bearings, they are smooth AF.
My praxxis lasted many winters on my bike I rode in all the shit.

I had really bad luck with Chris king and killed one in one winter. They did replace it, but....
Thanks

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
We do quite a few of the Wheels PF30 BBs. They work well and aren't a billion dollars.

My Tarmac has the Praxis BB, PF30 to 24mm for an Ultegra crank. It's been dead silent since day one. Same idea. They even feel a lot alike, wouldn't be surprised to learn they're made in the same place. Also not a billion dollars.

Whatever you do, get a DUB crank, they are seriously amazing. No matter the level.

Top Bottom