Advice on a new Bottom Bracket

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I killed a cheapo SRAM PF BB a week after swapping it. It wasn't exactly gracefully installed, but still. Grabbed one of the Wheels thread-together BB's to try out. Even the crank installed easier because the faces are more aligned.
1570539742819.png

pygmypony

one more vote for the wheels thread together BB...i put the fat one in my Mukluk and it's been super smooth. i didn't go for the angular bearings tho...maybe next time

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
What makes them so great?
It is supposed to be an axle standard that works with ALL bb standards. Basically it is just different bb’s that will all work with their axle dia. Similar to how wheels and kogel make a bb for every bb standard/axle standard.
Ironically they developed another “standard” while trying to address something that worked for all standards.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Another vote for the wheels threaded bb. I went through a bb every 6 months on my road bike, so far two years and no creaks.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It is supposed to be an axle standard that works with ALL bb standards. Basically it is just different bb’s that will all work with their axle dia. Similar to how wheels and kogel make a bb for every bb standard/axle standard.
Ironically they developed another “standard” while trying to address something that worked for all standards.

I thought Jim was saying they're better because of some performance improvement.

Yeah, I understand why SRAM came up with the new standard. What you said is great for their marketing but I'm pretty sure the real reason is their 30mm spindle cranks were too narrow to fit in BSA bottom brackets w/ 30mmID bearings unlike other manufacturers. So if they were going to come up with a new standard with a wider axle, may as well come up with a whole new axle standard...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I thought Jim was saying they're better because of some performance improvement.

Yeah, I understand why SRAM came up with the new standard. What you said is great for their marketing but I'm pretty sure the real reason is their 30mm spindle cranks were too narrow to fit in BSA bottom brackets w/ 30mmID bearings unlike other manufacturers. So if they were going to come up with a new standard with a wider axle, may as well come up with a whole new axle standard...
Dub axle is 28.99 and yes, the driving factor was the axle width. They started the integration when they brought 11spd on the road side with wider axle and 10 spacers, less spacers for the wider standards.

In the end you just need to buy their crank ?

Mathers

We do quite a few of the Wheels PF30 BBs. They work well and aren't a billion dollars.

My Tarmac has the Praxis BB, PF30 to 24mm for an Ultegra crank. It's been dead silent since day one. Same idea. They even feel a lot alike, wouldn't be surprised to learn they're made in the same place. Also not a billion dollars.

Whatever you do, get a DUB crank, they are seriously amazing. No matter the level.
Right now I have a 28t raceface chainring and 170 Aefect cranks. The cranks are pretty beat up so I think replacing them makes sense.
I slowly going dow the road of a new drive train.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
since this thread is already off topic @jimvreeland (or anyone else who has) have you gotten to try the axs dropper post (i have no clue what they call it at this point and dont feel like looking it up) and what do you think of it? worth the cost?

iv honestly been eyeing up an axs shifter/derailluer for my stache . . . . and matchyness is always a thought.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I tested it before it was released. It's nice but I don't run droppers so really don't have anything to compare it to. Obviously it's much easier to install.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
since this thread is already off topic @jimvreeland (or anyone else who has) have you gotten to try the axs dropper post (i have no clue what they call it at this point and dont feel like looking it up) and what do you think of it? worth the cost?

iv honestly been eyeing up an axs shifter/derailluer for my stache . . . . and matchyness is always a thought.
I heard @UtahJoe was going to get one

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

For double the price, for the same overall functionality, seems like waiting is the better option.

NOW, once they have droppers that you dont have to weight the post to drop it. THAT will be a major game changer. I think someone has one in the works...

serviceguy

NOW, once they have droppers that you dont have to weight the post to drop it. THAT will be a major game changer. I think someone has one in the works...
I'm assuming it would have a bi-directional lever...I can only imagine how many times I would slam it in the wrong direction, I've already used the front brake instead of the dropper post lever a number of times...

Top Bottom