Advice needed... is this a crack?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This sucks - it really does - but i'm going to hope it doesn't happen again for the next 800 rides.
So just +$1/ea.

does that help?
(i have 105 rides on my TB, sometimes i do the math and.....)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I'll add a little here.

This is certainly from an impact. No different than smashing your new car into a curb.

For all the Carbon haters, this same impact would have certainly folded an alloy frame. I've witnessed firsthand the difference in impact strength of carbon vs alloy. Carbon has something like 15x the impact strength of carbon (Depending on layup). This isn't my opinion. It is an absolute fact. Many people don't want to hear it, but it's true. All carbon is not created equally and many brands don't do it as well as SC does. I have a good friend in Cali who owns one of the biggest MTB only shops going anywhere. They sell pretty much every brand that is in the same category as SC. He has shared with me their warranty claim rate over the last decade and SC is indeed their lowest instances of failure.

Sc frames are among the heaviest on the market. They are super tough and i'll stand tall and say they have the lowest instances of warranty claims of any brand i've sold over the last 25+ years of selling bikes.

This is not a warranty imo. It's a crash replacement. I'm not gonna say I could have pulled some strings for you there, but I know the guy who makes these calls.

See if you can get the RA# and call Wille at SC. Try and plead your case. (Please don't say I said to call him as he'd be pisssed)

pkovo

Sorry, that just stinks. I’d probably make a second appeal to SC, but if all else fails What about repairing it?

There are shops that do it, albeit its not cheap, but since its not an actual broken tube and its in what would seem like an easy spot to work onnit might not be too bad.

You could also give it a go yourself. From what Ive seen the process looks very similar to a fiberglass repair, just with carbon cloth.

Still not what you want out of a brand new high end frame.

phillychris498

A positive update:

I had already contacted Willie, but a special thank you to @jdog for referring me to him. They originally said I’d need to wait for a new frame until the middle of September, but upon contacting them today a magical front triangle appeared. Willie helped me out and knocked a little off the replacement frame.

Of course I’m still bummed, but it turns out that I don’t need to send them the frame; I just have to hacksaw it at the bottom of the seat tube and above the bottom bracket, so I’ll have a cool ornament to hang up on the wall.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
A positive update:

I had already contacted Willie, but a special thank you to @jdog for referring me to him. They originally said I’d need to wait for a new frame until the middle of September, but upon contacting them today a magical front triangle appeared. Willie helped me out and knocked a little off the replacement frame.

Of course I’m still bummed, but it turns out that I don’t need to send them the frame; I just have to hacksaw it at the bottom of the seat tube and above the bottom bracket, so I’ll have a cool ornament to hang up on the wall.

is it wrong that if you hack sawed it I'd try to fix it lol

Xler8

Would this have avoided/reduced the impact?
FA92DBF1-6B82-4ABA-9793-D95CEDF97D57.jpeg

serviceguy

In case of vertical impact I don't think the bash guard would prevent the impact from cracking the frame, but if the impact was more in a front to back direction there may have been a chance it would help the frame glide over the log. I am being optimistic and trying to justify the presence of my bash guard...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
In case of vertical impact I don't think the bash guard would prevent the impact from cracking the frame, but if the impact was more in a front to back direction there may have been a chance it would help the frame glide over the log. I am being optimistic and trying to justify the presence of my bash guard...

if that was the case, the chainring would have stopped it ??
the bb shell is now aft of the turn up of the downtube.
there should be something to spread the impact of a point blow in that area.
larger than the pad along the bottom.

serviceguy

if that was the case, the chainring would have stopped it ??
the bb shell is now aft of the turn up of the downtube.
there should be something to spread the impact of a point blow in that area.
larger than the pad along the bottom.

It depends how it was hit, lot of stuff could have stopped the impact but didn't (pedals, cranks, chainring). We'll never know.

JerseyPete

I don't think it would make that much difference. Have you tried it?

Yes. Many pounds ago, no problem. These days, not as easy. To get the increased mass in motion and controlled, takes more effort and timing.
Think of juggling three golf balls vs bowling bowls. Same coordination, but the mass makes it more difficult.

Top Bottom