Advice needed... is this a crack?

serviceguy

Looks like the paint was pushed from underneath, I don't see any scratch on the outside, so i would say it's a crack. Did you remove the guard under the frame to see if it keeps going? Unfortunately that is the problem with a new bike, all of a sudden it's not new anymore...I fainted when I massaged a big rock with my brand new carbon cranks!

phillychris498

rip frame
Wow that sucks. How did it happen - hit a rock and hear it crack?

It’s funny, there wasn’t a distinct moment or crash that I can remember other than hopping a downed tree on Saturday. I didn’t clear it all the way (per my usual) and heard what I figured was a piece of the tree crack off... i hit the frame right in the spot that it cracked when that happened though, so it would make perfect sense if just a pathetic little log hop cracked it.

I guess the new Hightower can’t jump stumps... I should’ve gotten a Stumpjumper! :rolleyes:

phillychris498

Looks like the paint was pushed from underneath, I don't see any scratch on the outside, so i would say it's a crack. Did you remove the guard under the frame to see if it keeps going? Unfortunately that is the problem with a new bike, all of a sudden it's not new anymore...I fainted when I massaged a big rock with my brand new carbon cranks!
I did remove the guard but it stops right at the end of it, fortunately it doesn’t keep going.

The Kalmyk

I guess the new Hightower can’t jump stumps. :rolleyes:

By itself no.

In your case you were hammering a "smooth" down hill and heard something. Took 10 minutes and found you were compromised. That's the story when you go back to the manufacturer for support:p. Doubt you will need to get over finical with the details but just in case.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Sucks for you dude. Hope you get it back up and rolling soon with a minimum of hassle and expense. As far as warranty, even if Santa Cruz hands over a new frame free no ?s asked it’s still got to be rebuilt, and could happen again on the first ride out. Don’t care how wonderful carbon is, I’ll stick to aluminum.

phillychris498

Went to my pals at Cycle Craft and my guy Geoff immediately noticed a stress fracture to the left of the crack from the impact:
51B4942D-547C-4218-871E-552430ED4F67.jpeg

I saw that last night but didn’t put together that it was related to the crack at the bottom of the frame.

But yes, 5 glorious trail rides before it cracked. Warranty claim has been sent to Santa Cruz, and will keep you all updated on how that process shapes out.

bergsnj

Went to my pals at Cycle Craft and my guy Geoff immediately noticed a stress fracture to the left of the crack from the impact:
View attachment 103136

I saw that last night but didn’t put together that it was related to the crack at the bottom of the frame.

But yes, 5 glorious trail rides before it cracked. Warranty claim has been sent to Santa Cruz, and will keep you all updated on how that process shapes out.

this is exacty what happened to my last bike. Hence my new timidness rolling over large logs.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Add an extra frame guard of some kind in that spot on the new frame since you know it's vulnerable. Only ever cracked 1 frame: My '90s chromoly Mongoose BMX due to an epic dirt jump nose case (which also bent the fork). Good luck with the warranty!

phillychris498

And on cue, Santa Cruz gives me a quote of $800 plus shipping for a new front triangle.

How the fuck is it that cracking a $3300 frame on a simple trail maneuver like hopping a tree, 4 rides into the new bike, ISN'T A DEFECTIVE FRAME? Am I supposed to walk my bike over logs now? Should I take up hiking instead of mountain biking?

w_b

And on cue, Santa Cruz gives me a quote of $800 plus shipping for a new front triangle.

How the fuck is it that cracking a $3300 frame on a simple trail maneuver like hopping a tree, 4 rides into the new bike, ISN'T A DEFECTIVE FRAME? Am I supposed to walk my bike over logs now? Should I take up hiking instead of mountain biking?

The problem is you didn’t hop it, you crashed into it. And you got the crash replacement price. Had you hopped it, it likely would not have cracked. Crashing it into a tree made it defective, not the other way around. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

phillychris498

The problem is you didn’t hop it, you crashed into it. And you got the crash replacement price. Had you hopped it, it likely would not have cracked. Sorry for your loss.

Of course I didn't hop it, but it's the highest end frame you can get on the market with the newest technology, research, etc possible. It was a low speed log-roll, literally right after getting back into the saddle when I rolled over it. I know I'm not a special consumer, and shouldn't be treated differently, but I can't be sold that a frame like that with Santa Cruz's supposed extremely durable carbon can't handle hitting a log.

rlb

Lots of these new frames protrude out in front of the cranks which means unless you are on your A game you will bash it into a large log or if you roll a rock drop by accident. I'm so paranoind about this happening to my new bike.

I never noticed this until you pointed it out. Guess I'll never own one of these, because I'd crack it this way on the first ride. They must see 100 of these a day.....

Top Bottom