Advice needed - A'hole on road bike

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
honestly, i'm pretty liberal with roadies as that's where i spend much of my time but if someone actually punched my car i'm pretty sure i'd pull over and politely ask them to explain themselves.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
The punch was just lunacy but I gotta say I HATE beepers and lingerers. I rather be passed by a car 2" away at 50mph than have you linger or beep in my blind spot.I never flip or hit though I just keep a stream of obscenities flowin till they get off my 7 ish...............

lmckee

Everything you did seems in line. The only thing that I wouldn't of done was beep. Either way, if my car got punched, the blood would of been flowing.

MTB Aussie

Agree with most, skip the beeping, he knows you're there unless you are driving a Prius, just pass when clear and give some space. Pass a little faster and he wont be able to punch the car next time!

I had a guy in a Hummer this morning blast the horn and yell something obnoxious about getting out of the road and I was probably 12 inches from the gutter at the time. Most roadie reactions are based on the last experience they had, usually from db's like the guy in the Hummer.

MST.ESQ

I live in Essex County and darn near get run off the road twice a day - and that is while driving in my car (if you ever come across someone blocking two lanes of traffic on Rt. 280 in the morning to yell at someone that almost just killed him, slow down and say Hi to me on your way by:().

Back on topic: I drive wide and pass quickly when I come across roadies just to see the 10 cars behind me practically decapitate them on their way by... which is why I feel safer riding alone at Chimney Rock at dusk without lights and pads than I do on the road...

Though I am not crazy about the 10 wide bunch doing 35 in a 50mph zone, I think most non-bikers don't realize how hard it is to stay less than 12" from the curb when doing 35+ on a road bike.

keithsly

The Law from the NJ Website...

Off the State Transportation website...

39:4-14.1 Rights and Duties of Persons on Bicycles.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway is granted all the rights and subject to all of the duties of the motor vehicle driver.

39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle should ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.

In New Jersey, the law states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law.

Nimrod

Cars beeping at you is part of riding on the road, kinda like finding horse crap on trails. I don't even flinch anymore:)

^This is right on^

When Captain Oblivious (SRV Driver) beeps and yells at me these days….

I sit-up, smile and wave at them. Like I give a crap what they think:p

mwlikesbikes

When I get d-bags coming up on me laying on the horn or something stupid like that I'll sit up and wave and say something like "Jesus loves you!" and as they're driving away they can't hear me finish with "but everyone else thinks you're an a-hole!" :D

Top Bottom