Adventures in tubeless taping ...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
200.gif

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I actually saw Stan Koziatek, the inventor of Stans at a grocery store back in NJ. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
This is the sort of thing that happens only happens to Pearl.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Gorilla makes a 1 inch wide roll which is just right for most modern wheels, although it's harder to find.
There is an easy way to cut width tho:
Take razor knife, lay flat (horizontal) on proper height (width?) piece of wood. Lay roll of tape flat on bench. Rotate tape against knife and cut while holding knife steady. Slightly tricky to figure out how deep to go but I usually go to town, too deep is better than not enough.

Gorilla also makes a waterproof packing tape I just tried, not as thick and heavy as the standard stuff but it's sturdier than typical packing tape. I haz high hopes.

Recently used a Vreeland trick of retaping only a damaged section of tape. Long story short, the rack I was using for a long trip carried the front tire right behind the tailpipe and (after a fair amount of head scratching on why the tire was flat) I realized it had melted the Stan's tape in about a 5 inch section. Derp.

With Gorilla tape you can just rip the first few inches of the roll at the width you need and then proceed to install. It will continue to rip at the correct width in a perfectly straight line as you install. No need to cut with a blade first.

I use Gorilla as a last resort for rims that nothing seems to adhere to. That shit will stick to anything.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm less surprised if you happened to be in Big Flats, NY, but very surprised about a random meeting in a grocery store in NJ.
Am I the only one that has seen what Pearl posted about a million times before on the internet with misc famous people?

It's copypasta from like 2001 timeframe...

And on topic, after using Gorilla Tape to go tubeless 15 years ago, I can't imagine willingly using that shit nowadays compared to actual tubeless tape.

The edges fall apart with the thread reinforcement coming out, and the glue oozes out and makes a mess. And re-taping is a PITA due to the glue sticking to the rim. Properly sized tubeless tape is the way to go.

jackx

Gorilla makes a 1 inch wide roll which is just right for most modern wheels, although it's harder to find.
There is an easy way to cut width tho:
Take razor knife, lay flat (horizontal) on proper height (width?) piece of wood. Lay roll of tape flat on bench. Rotate tape against knife and cut while holding knife steady. Slightly tricky to figure out how deep to go but I usually go to town, too deep is better than not enough.

Gorilla also makes a waterproof packing tape I just tried, not as thick and heavy as the standard stuff but it's sturdier than typical packing tape. I haz high hopes.

Recently used a Vreeland trick of retaping only a damaged section of tape. Long story short, the rack I was using for a long trip carried the front tire right behind the tailpipe and (after a fair amount of head scratching on why the tire was flat) I realized it had melted the Stan's tape in about a 5 inch section. Derp.
I used to use Gorilla tape for my ghetto tubeless on non-tubeless ready rims 10+ years ago. It seems a lot heavier and messier (residue-wise) than tubeless tape, but I guess it must be cheaper than tubeless tape.

A 10m roll of Muc-off tapes 4 29'er wheels, and costs $15 - and can be bought in 6 different widths including 30mm and 35mm.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
+1 on the Whisky tape.
Tried that because the LBS uses it and had it in stock.
It's semi-clear so you can see any bubbles, sticky as hell and pretty damn light if you're a weight weenie.

But Fatty Strippers for fat bikes.

Cassinonorth

Looks like you broke Stan Koziatek...also what's the nexus here?!?!?
This is the sort of thing that happens only happens to Pearl.
I'm a pretty big bike nerd, but I have no clue what the inventor of Stan's looks like or that his name is Stan Koziatek. So kudos.

lol

serviceguy

Am I the only one that has seen what Pearl posted about a million times before on the internet with misc famous people?
I wasn't aware, still don't understand why he posted it in the first place as it has no relevance nor the thinnest of connections to the thread content...if this was supposed to be a 'gotcha' moment I think @Pearl needs to work harder at it...meh.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wasn't aware, still don't understand why he posted it in the first place as it has no relevance nor the thinnest of connections to the thread content...if this was supposed to be a 'gotcha' moment I think @Pearl needs to work harder at it...meh.
Pearl is on the payroll to keep the threads moving.

So far he has hit his quota for the week.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pearl is bored at work like he has been for 15 years.

I actually saw James Pearl, the inventor of Liking This at a pork roll store in NJ. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “JPLT, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly and saying, "Triple B."

serviceguy

I actually saw James Pearl, the inventor of Liking This at a pork roll store in NJ. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “JPLT, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly and saying, "Triple B."
The thick plottens, how did the girl know to address JPLT by his name? You blew it! Amateurs...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

@serviceguy read all this like
giphy.gif

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
The secret…clean wheels with acetone. Tape should be 4mm wider than internal width of rim. Easiest to do if you put wheel back on bike(I don’t). Start 6” before valve hole and pull over it. Pull 12-20” and pull it tight. It will seat itself. Overlap 6” past the valve hole and cut with a sharp razer blade. Done. If you can inflate with a tube and let sit. I never do. I use an off brand from eBay that looks like stans.

Top Bottom