Adventures in tubeless taping ...

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I broke a spoke off inside the nipple the other day, so to fix it I had to remove the existing tape and then retape the rim when I was finished. This is maybe the fifth or sixth time I've had to tape a rim over the years. I remember years ago watching a video on how to do it and I distinctly recall the guy saying that you shouldn't have to pull too hard to set the tape flush. But that's never been my experience - I always anchor one end with electrical tape even though I'm holding it in place and pull the rim tape super taut to keep it flush on the rim without any air bubbles. It's "adhesive" really sucks on its own, so until I get a good layer and half on the rim, it usually requires me to keep pulling and even sometimes resetting the tape because it just doesn't want to stay on the rim. I thought maybe it was a matter of properly cleaning the rim itself, but I thoroughly washed it and then dried it out completely before applying the tape and still had to pull the unspooling role like I was trying to rip it in half to keep it flush on the rim. When I'm done, it's usually pretty solid (occasionally I've had some small issue usually caused by a ding on the rim itself or something, but for the most part it's airtight on the first go round.)

But am I missing some trick that would make it easier to set the tape without feeling like I'm almost pulling the role apart to keep it flush? Seems like I may be missing something ...

First snarky comment!!! Get yourself some of these plugs. Also, I think I'm supposed to say "light your bike on fire".

Seriously, you have to stretch the shit out of the tape to get it to "suck" into the groove that runs along the center of the rim and stick to the shoulders of the rim. I just did the same thing with breaking a spoke in the nipple. I don't think you're missing anything.

1629324462442.png

Also, I'm a big proponent of polyimid tape. Thinner, stronger, better adhesives. The only issue it has is that it is extremely temperature resistant, so if you like to burn a clean hole for the valve, you need a red-hot poker.

What kind of tape are you using? I’ve only used the Stan’s yellow tape on my mtb rims.
A couple months ago I had to replace a broken spoke nipple on my arch mk3 rim. I carefully sliced the tape with a razor and peeled it back, replaced the nipple, laid the tape back down, put a length of tape over where I cut it going about 6-8 inches either way. Put the tire on, seated it, filled it with fluid and it held just fine.
Saves the hassle of retaping the whole rim.

I always anchor with my left hand and stretch 18 inches or so with my right and it conforms into the “grooves”. The tighter I pull it, the better it sticks to the rim. I have long arms so that helps.

First snarky comment!!! Get yourself some of these plugs. Also, I think I'm supposed to say "light your bike on fire".

Seriously, you have to stretch the shit out of the tape to get it to "suck" into the groove that runs along the center of the rim and stick to the shoulders of the rim. I just did the same thing with breaking a spoke in the nipple. I don't think you're missing anything.

View attachment 165306
Is there a name for those plugs @mbruno? I have had my share of internal spoke nipples breaking thru the tubeless rim tape.

I have had no problems with Muc-Off and Enve tape sealing to the rims, and I hear that Whiskey tape is highly recommended. I don't have a truing stand, so I mount the bare rim on the bike, and put the bike in a repair stand.

I clean the inside rims first with IPA to remove any residue from the sealant or previous taping. I found the Muc-Off tubeless tape video to be a helpful refresher.

Is there a name for those plugs @mbruno? I have had my share of internal spoke nipples breaking thru the tubeless rim tape.

I have had no problems with Muc-Off and Enve tape sealing to the rims, and I hear that Whiskey tape is highly recommended. I don't have a truing stand, so I mount the bare rim on the bike, and put the bike in a repair stand.

I clean the inside rims first with IPA to remove any residue from the sealant or previous taping. I found the Muc-Off tubeless tape video to be a helpful refresher.

This below I guess? Should reduce the need to double tape and tape ripping from sharp edge of the rim holes, I suppose.

Amazon product ASIN B07BQBSDYF

Or you could use this under the tape if the rim is wide enough, sort of like the TPS system from WTB.

Amazon product ASIN B07S9VHWPQ

Velocity and Roval are two of the more common plugs on the market. I have them in my CLX50s with a 28c tire but use tape with anything wider so the bead is tighter. Even though it probably won't happen, I always feel like the tire is going to roll off without tape.

What kind of tape are you using? I’ve only used the Stan’s yellow tape on my mtb rims.
A couple months ago I had to replace a broken spoke nipple on my arch mk3 rim. I carefully sliced the tape with a razor and peeled it back, replaced the nipple, laid the tape back down, put a length of tape over where I cut it going about 6-8 inches either way. Put the tire on, seated it, filled it with fluid and it held just fine.
Saves the hassle of retaping the whole rim.
Yeah, I use Stan's yellow tape, too. I have a buddy who likes to use Gorilla tape and he swears by that, but he has to cut it to fit because it's too wide off the roll. That seems like a lot of work.

So, long arms & fire.

I think we’re all set here Martin. Keep us posted.
I have one of those things.

Thanks all fo the input. I guess I am doing it right. Like I said, I don't have an issue with how it works - it just seemed like the advice online specifically said you don't need to pull too hard.

I actually saw Stan Koziatek, the inventor of Stans at a grocery store back in NJ. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I have a buddy who likes to use Gorilla tape and he swears by that, but he has to cut it to fit because it's too wide off the roll. That seems like a lot of work.
Gorilla makes a 1 inch wide roll which is just right for most modern wheels, although it's harder to find.
There is an easy way to cut width tho:
Take razor knife, lay flat (horizontal) on proper height (width?) piece of wood. Lay roll of tape flat on bench. Rotate tape against knife and cut while holding knife steady. Slightly tricky to figure out how deep to go but I usually go to town, too deep is better than not enough.

Gorilla also makes a waterproof packing tape I just tried, not as thick and heavy as the standard stuff but it's sturdier than typical packing tape. I haz high hopes.

Recently used a Vreeland trick of retaping only a damaged section of tape. Long story short, the rack I was using for a long trip carried the front tire right behind the tailpipe and (after a fair amount of head scratching on why the tire was flat) I realized it had melted the Stan's tape in about a 5 inch section. Derp.

Gorilla makes a 1 inch wide roll which is just right for most modern wheels, although it's harder to find.
There is an easy way to cut width tho:
Take razor knife, lay flat (horizontal) on proper height (width?) piece of wood. Lay roll of tape flat on bench. Rotate tape against knife and cut while holding knife steady. Slightly tricky to figure out how deep to go but I usually go to town, too deep is better than not enough.

Gorilla also makes a waterproof packing tape I just tried, not as thick and heavy as the standard stuff but it's sturdier than typical packing tape. I haz high hopes.

Recently used a Vreeland trick of retaping only a damaged section of tape. Long story short, the rack I was using for a long trip carried the front tire right behind the tailpipe and (after a fair amount of head scratching on why the tire was flat) I realized it had melted the Stan's tape in about a 5 inch section. Derp.

i have had good success with just doing a repair over the puncture in the tap, i had a wheel that was eating spokes for a while (gone now lol) but that was my go -to rather than retap the whole rim, the tape gets expensive when you have to retap the rim every 2 or 3 weeks 🤣

I actually saw Stan Koziatek, the inventor of Stans at a grocery store back in NJ. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I'm a pretty big bike nerd, but I have no clue what the inventor of Stan's looks like or that his name is Stan Koziatek. So kudos.

Edit: Actually, had pretty good luck with most of the normal tubeless tape options for MTB. Setting up road tires seems a lot more finicky. I tried using Stan's initially and couldn't get the tape to adhere to itself so I kept getting sealant underneath. Whiskey tape ultimately worked but it still took a lot more effort than any mountain bike combination I've dealt with.

Looks like you broke Stan Koziatek...also what's the nexus here?!?!?

IMG_20180329_090236552.jpg

We actually ran into Stan.

Back
Top Bottom