adventure racing

rocknrollgirl

Hi Eileen,
I did a 6 hour adventure race last year. It was not Genesis, but one of the GOALS races. It was tons of fun. I was on a three person co-ed team with my husband and another friend of ours. We were already mt biking pretty hard, but we trained the other sports for about 4 months before the race.

Now, I do have to tell you, that although it was a blast, it was HARD. And hard in a different way than a regular triathlon or mt bike race, because there is the mental aspect, and that is the finally sport involved.

We did not know the order of the events until after the first "task", and now you have navigation on top of everything else. Cool heads prevail in this type of race.

If you can get a well rounded team together, you will love it. It is very different.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info, or I will check back on the thread later.

Ruth

rocknrollgirl

OH and one more thing...if I remember correctly, GOALS races are cheaper, and they raise money for various causes, like American Cancer Society.

Just google Goals Adventure Racing

Ruth

anrothar

entirely thrilled
not sure if they're for me. mostly because i have bad knnes and can't run more than a mile till they fall apart.

rocknrollgirl

They sneak extra miles in too to make it harder. For example our trail run portion was 6 miles. So I was mentally and physically preapred for 6 miles, and then when we got there, we find out from the main transition area down to the lake is a mile in each direction WITH all of your paddle gear, but it was ok, it is not a sprint day, we just paced ourselves...one section at a time.

D

DANSPANK

I'd love to try an adventure race. It would be my first so wouldn't want to do major distances but I like the idea...

R

rlaureano

I've never done any of these races. How does it work? Do you race with all your teammates or do guys split the different legs?

Does the trail portion require you to run or is a casual hiking pace sufficient?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i could probably manage 6 miles per hour walking briskly on trails.. if that would suffice i suppose i could do it.

rocknrollgirl

You and your team members must stay within 100 meters of each other the entire time or you will be disqualified. So you all have to be able to do all of the different legs of the race. The only time we were out of sight of each other was on the canoe leg. The checkpoints required landing the canoe and having a team member or two run off in to the woods to find the checkpoint.

makes for some antics!!!!

Top Bottom