Adventure Racing Anyone???

MST.ESQ

Has anyone out there done any adventure racing? i.e. kayak, mountain bike, trail run, orienteering? I know they have an event in Harriman, NY.

If you have done this, post up with your experience. I was told by a participant that it is hard to break into this clique (i.e. that existing participants do not welcome newbies) - but when I took a look at some event pics, it looks like they are in worse shape than the average NJ mountain biker;). I may want to enter a race next year to try it out.

xc62701

Yea I don't know why the scene is EXTREMELY low key. There was an adventure race in Wawayanda this season - my backyard where I grew up - and never knew it. Kinda irritates me as I'd like to try one.

Panhead

We were doing T/M in Waway when they had the race. Half of the racers were asking for directions and they had maps. Never see them again if it was in the Mooch

MST.ESQ

Yea I don't know why the scene is EXTREMELY low key. There was an adventure race in Wawayanda this season - my backyard where I grew up - and never knew it. Kinda irritates me as I'd like to try one.

Just checked the site. They also hold races at Ringwood and Allamuchy... Harriman is closer than Tymor and Stewart... Don't know why I never heard of this but I think I am going to update my Christmas wish list to include some gear. Would be cool if we could get some teams together for non-H2H weekends and flex our muscle a little bit...:hmmm:

walter

Fourth Party
Does trekking mean running, or hiking or what? Does it just mean you can do whatever you have to do as long as its on foot?

Eileen

There are Genesis races at Ringwood, Wayway and the Mooch at some point over the summer. Mountain biking, kayaking and trekking all without a clue where you're going. These guys run an awesome race each time and never fail to disappoint. They also run a camp at each race to teach newcomers how to race. Check em out :cool:

trekking can be running, hiking, crawling, whatever you can do at that point ;)

Glancing Aft

I did one last fall and had a surprising amount of fun. They are worth checking out, but I have trouble doing them with a serious mindset. It was a more of for fun kind of thing.

rocknrollgirl

My husband and I did one last year. It was very hard, but the most fun I have ever had racing, and very, very different because of the mental aspect of the race.

The race that we did was kayaking, mt biking, trail running and ropes course type stuff. All of the racers ran the run section. The run total was about 7 miles.

I would recommend GOALS races. Their 6 hours races are a great way to start, they require reading a map, but no UTI plotting. And, unlike Genesis races, GOALS raises money for a cause at each race.

It took us 4.5 hours of straight nonstop racing to finish, so although it is fun, do not underestimate the all around fitness that you need.

But it is a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!! We will do it again for sure.

Feel free to pm me if you want any more info.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This stuff always sounds interesting to me. Any calendar/schedule with local (ish) events?

walter

Fourth Party
Me too, this has sparked a lot of interest from me as well. So much so that I am booking a kayaking day with Jersey Paddler.

N

Neen

I've done a few and never noticed any "clique-ish" aspect from anyone there. They are tons of fun. The run/trek portion usually isn't an all out run because you're constantly having to check your map to find the checkpoints, etc. Now I want to check out the GOALS that Ruth mentioned. I've done Genesis and a few others that aren't around anymore.

walter

Fourth Party
Ruth, Neen, Will and whoever else,

Are all these races run as teams or are there some solo ones as well? How does the team system work? I would see how a two person kayak would work, but do you also run and ride sise by side?

Any other info or links would be great, thanks!!:)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Ruth, Neen, Will and whoever else,

Are all these races run as teams or are there some solo ones as well? How does the team system work? I would see how a two person kayak would work, but do you also run and ride sise by side?

Any other info or links would be great, thanks!!:)

One of my friends did one of these a few years back. The running and biking legs were done by one person and then both people do a kayak, etc. The one he did started out with the kayak, had a running leg, then biking, then running, then team stuff. I think they had 3 person teams.

N

Neen

The ones I have done (1 three person, rest were two person teams) were teams and it was mandatory that you are together at all checkpoints. I've seen the kayak section done where you each have your own, and where you are in 1 kayak together. In the 3 person race, my teammates were in 1 kayak and had to tow me in a 2nd kayak.
I've done mostly Genesis Adventure races I think. The 3 person team one is no longer around (that was like 8 years ago that I did that)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Damn, now I want to do one. Of course, I also now want a bagel with cream cheese. I'm like that.

More information good! No PMs, make it public! Share the wealth of knowledge!

walter

Fourth Party
Norm, not all that local, but I was on this site last night for quite a bit:

http://www.xterraplanet.com/

I'm going to keep an eye out for these things in the future. This season is a bust for me but I think I may give it a shot next year.

I just left EMS with a boat load of kayak info. No pun intended.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I own a kayak. Ask me to borrow mine before you go out and buy one. They're not cheap.

I also have a river in my back yard and a life preserver. So you can take it for a spin whenever you want.

MST.ESQ

I am going to try one for sure next season. Here is the link for GOALS series mentioned by rocknrollgirl, which are run in and around the Jim Thorpe area in PA.

http://www.goalsara.org/

They even have a 24hr event for you 24hr junkies!!!

Now I need a Brunton compass and a good gear list to give to my wife in time for Christmas shopping...

Last edited:
Top Bottom