adjusting my training

s4lnj

as my bmx season comes to a close in a couple of weeks, i always celebrate with a week of beers and no training. then i get back to it(usually take me a year to burn off the 10-15 lbs i gain during the beer week--serious)

unsure of what i plan on doing next year, mtb or bmx, what do you guys do for training? just log a $hitload of miles? bmx was simple, hit the squats and olympic lifts, do sprints, and work skills, throw in some plyos and you were golden. not really sure what mtb training entails.

thanks for the help
dave

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Well for one thing, if you want to race MTB, you'll need some endurance. The races are a whole lot longer than a BMX race. So an easy answer is, yes, log a ton of miles and build your endurance base, you more than likely have the rest of it.

-Jim.

s4lnj

thanks.

what about sprints? forget em? are they needed?

right now i take the mtb out for a recovery ride once a week about 25-30 minutes, light cadence, not really worried about speed so much as i am about an efficient spin while i'm out.

The Kalmyk

Always forgotten but always works...Change your diet and keep the alcohol in check...That is of course you drink

dhsean

Always forgotten but always works...Change your diet and keep the alcohol in check...That is of course you drink

I thought we rode a lot so we can eat tons of cheeseburgers and drink lots of beer without getting fat. :D

Back on topic, I race DH and my race runs are like 3-4 minutes but I use a road bike in the winter to train. It's just faster to get the training in when you don't have a lot of time. You can also use it to practice sprints and intervals as you get closer to the season then transition back to the BMX bike.

I'm no expert though - different things work for different people. Experiment and keep it fun. It's riding bikes after all.

The Kalmyk

I thought we rode a lot so we can eat tons of cheeseburgers and drink lots of beer without getting fat. :D

only if we were all alike that would be the case...Ok back on topic

Don't do anything that may inhance your appetite

Top Bottom