Action camera options/opinions?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Leaning towards Gopro Hero 7 Black with trade in option. What other cameras are worth considering? Stability and easy of uploading/editing via iphone/pc are key.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Iv been extremely happy with my gopro products. Friends with competitors products not so much.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Get the GoPro, especially if you have something to trade in to get the $100 credit.

thegock

Leaning towards Gopro Hero 7 Black with trade in option. What other cameras are worth considering? Stability and easy of uploading/editing via iphone/pc are key.

Consider the Jeemak 4k faux pro. Other Amazon Chinese brands are fine, too
It uses generic components and is dirt cheap. E.g. $78 with 2 batteries included and a separate generic case and chest harness.

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I bought a used gopro session and use the kedge mounts and its been good to me, I use the garmin virb editing software on my Mac (im sure its on the PC too) and lay over the GPS tracks. Making good videos is hard. Editing takes up 1000% of the time and effort. You can easily spend an hour putting together a 5 minute video. I usually just use the first minutes or last minutes as they are the most exciting.

Also, as a tip, if you aren't racing, always FILM SOMEONE IN FRONT OF YOU. otherwise, it's a waste of memory.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I bought a used gopro session and use the kedge mounts and its been good to me, I use the garmin virb editing software on my Mac (im sure its on the PC too) and lay over the GPS tracks. Making good videos is hard. Editing takes up 1000% of the time and effort. You can easily spend an hour putting together a 5 minute video. I usually just use the first minutes or last minutes as they are the most exciting.

Also, as a tip, if you aren't racing, always FILM SOMEONE IN FRONT OF YOU. otherwise, it's a waste of memory.

Damn.... they look fast!
I got motion sickness just by watching them... or maybe it was the cheeseburger and fries I had for lunch....

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've had shit luck with GoPros or something. I had a Hero 2, now have a Hero 3. Videos always had some weird grainy, artifact stuff happening. I know the 7 is supposed to be 'UGE and the stability stuff looks awesome. It almost eliminates the need for a gimbal for the every day Joe Schmoe. I may do one of those trade in programs for the 7 just for the stability, which will make make shit videos a little better. Then ask Pearl/Dan to teach me this GPS overlay stuff.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Damn.... they look fast!
I got motion sickness just by watching them... or maybe it was the cheeseburger and fries I had for lunch....
Camera adds 5mph ;)

I've had shit luck with GoPros or something. I had a Hero 2, now have a Hero 3. Videos always had some weird grainy, artifact stuff happening. I know the 7 is supposed to be 'UGE and the stability stuff looks awesome. It almost eliminates the need for a gimbal for the every day Joe Schmoe. I may do one of those trade in programs for the 7 just for the stability, which will make make shit videos a little better. Then ask Pearl/Dan to teach me this GPS overlay stuff.
it may be the editing software. that CX video and MTB one were made (I think) cropping in iMovie. Totally nuked the quality. Garmin Virb seems to be better, or maybe its just better in the lighting?

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Too much cross. Not liked.

Piston Honda

Alleged pics of the H8 leaked about a week ago. Looks like it has options for attachable flip-around screen & external mic port. Might be worth it if you can wait.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I posted one of every discipline to appeal the masses

Mtb racing is hard to capture, i do have one recently that’s p good
Ha, I have seen your mtb stuff from your races. Good videos but slow. Not like the old days when we raced together with @Dusty the Whale . Those were fun times.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The latest and greatest GoPro with the stabilizer is legit. It's like using a gimbal with out the gimbal.
That's the one to get

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Leaning towards the 7 black. Is the fusion 360 worth considering?

talking as a viewer, i love the 360 stuff. it really hasn't caught on tho.
being able to "look around" with VR is here, just not popular yet (price maybe?)

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
talking as a viewer, i love the 360 stuff. it really hasn't caught on tho.
being able to "look around" with VR is here, just not popular yet (price maybe?)
How about the Fly 360 camera? Leaning towards gopro hero 7 black at the moment. I also see Rylo as an option. For me I want good quality and a simple clip/upload process.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Def going to be easier from the gopro, and probably better quality for what you are aiming at.
first time looking at the fly - interesting design.

Top Bottom